7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2010 1:03 PM by philmodjunk

Filemaker Pro 11 Cloning

JAM

Title

Filemaker Pro 11 Cloning

Hello,

I am using the Invoice Starter Solution (with some of my own adjustments) for Filemaker Pro 11 and I have a question on cloning.

What I would like to do is have separate databases for new years (a 2010 database, a 2011 database, and so on), while still utilizing the same template.  

The issue is, I would like to KEEP (or import) the customer and product information from one year to the next, but start each year with no data in the invoices.  (So, my customers and products don't change from year to year, but the individual invoices do.)

If I try to make a clone of the database, it wipes out all the information.  

So, is there a way to clone part of a database?  Or, is there a way to import just the customer and product information?

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help!  It is very much appreciated!!

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Cloning
          RickWhitelaw

I don't understand why you would want a different database for each year. This prevents you from tracking a lot of history from year to year. As far as importing part of the data, yes, you can import from any table you choose. Again I see no point in this. Please explain why you wish to start a new year with no data in the invoices. Surely the invoices can be found by year. So, on January 1st 2011, if you perform a find for the year 2011, no data will be found. As soon as you create data in 2011 there will be a found set for that year.

RW

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Cloning
            JAM

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply!

It's just the way the company I work for does their records, look ups, etc.  Perhaps down the road they will change it, but for now I need to figure out how to go about things this way.

For now I'll try to figure out how to import the individual tables.  Thanks again!!

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Cloning
              JAM

Do I need to export a table first?  How do I go about importing just *a* table and not the whole database?

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Cloning
                philmodjunk

Hate to help you do things the hard way. "Just the way the company I work for does their records, look ups, etc" doesn't really make sense here. They can still do all that the same way, it's just that the data stays put in one place and scripts and layouts you can set up create the look and feel that matches how they've "always done this".

If you insist on this approach, check out Import Records in FileMaker help. There are a lot of options to specify when you use this tool, but you can copy all or some of the records from a table in one FileMaker file to at table in another.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Cloning
                  JAM

Thanks, PhilModJunk!  I appreciate it!!!

Yeah, I'll check - maybe with the new system it'll be okay to switch over and keep everything in one place (we're updating from a very old version of Filemaker).  But I appreciate all the information just in case.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Cloning
                    RickWhitelaw

I agree with Phil. It's not difficult to set up the file (with all the data from all years) to operate exactly as it would with data from only the current year. With an opening script properly written, the users would see exactly the records they're accustomed to seeing and the system would retain its history.

RW

• 7. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Cloning
                      philmodjunk

One "people engineering" approach you might try if you hit major resistance is to do the separate copy set up to start, but then develop the all in one solution we are describing. When you are confident that it's working correctly, demo it for everyone and be sure to throw in a report or five that pull data from more than one year to demonstrate that the combined file approach not only does everything they want with the separate files, but much more besides.