3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2014 7:36 AM by ZacherieWalker

FileMaker Pro 11 Crash

ZacherieWalker

Title

FileMaker Pro 11 Crash

The following crash is the most common crash we are having at our business with FileMaker.  I've been looking through our crash logs and this is one of the most common.  I still have some more research to do with it, but I was just curious if I could get more information regarding this.  

Our FileMaker has been acting a bit strange lately, and we started using BaseElements about 2 weeks ago to start analyzing and mitigate some of this crashing.  However, even though we have done some major clean up work, we're still having frequent crashing.

My fear is that the database is just too old.  It's the same database used since the early 90s with little to no recreation / complete rehaul of the database.  All they've done since then is hire a third company to do a little bit of cleanup and then update to the newer version of FileMaker Pro.

Am I being over fearful or is my fear legitimate?

Process:         FileMaker Pro [88055]
           Path:            /Applications/FileMaker Pro 11/FileMaker Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro
           Identifier:      com.filemaker.client.pro
           Version:         11.0.4 (11.0.4)
           Code Type:       X86 (Native)
           Parent Process:  launchd [173]
           Responsible:     FileMaker Pro [88055]
           User ID:         501

Date/Time:       2014-07-16 08:51:53.551 -0400
           OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
           Report Version:  11
           Anonymous UUID:  9DF81623-9A08-1F18-30B1-9062ABB96E11

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
           Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000002

VM Regions Near 0x2:
           --> __PAGEZERO             0000000000000000-0000000000001000 [    4K] ---/--- SM=NUL  /Applications/FileMaker Pro 11/FileMaker Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro
               __TEXT                 0000000000001000-00000000007f8000 [ 8156K] r-x/rwx SM=COW  /Applications/FileMaker Pro 11/FileMaker Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
           0   com.apple.CoreFoundation       0x90535ced CFRelease + 29
           1   com.apple.CoreFoundation       0x9054aec7 -[__NSArrayM dealloc] + 135
           2   libobjc.A.dylib                0x96e6d5ef -[NSObject release] + 47
           3   libobjc.A.dylib                0x96e59497 (anonymous namespace)::AutoreleasePoolPage::pop(void*) + 527
           4   com.apple.CoreFoundation       0x9055792f _CFAutoreleasePoolPop + 47
           5   com.apple.Foundation           0x97950a2b postQueueNotifications + 1015
           6   com.apple.Foundation           0x979a531c __NSPostIdleQueueNotes + 16
           7   com.apple.CoreFoundation       0x905a22ce __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_AN_OBSERVER_CALLBACK_FUNCTION__ + 30
           8   com.apple.CoreFoundation       0x905a221f __CFRunLoopDoObservers + 399
           9   com.apple.CoreFoundation       0x9059311f __CFRunLoopRun + 1199
           10  com.apple.CoreFoundation       0x905929fa CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 394
           11  com.apple.CoreFoundation       0x9059285b CFRunLoopRunInMode + 123
           12  com.apple.HIToolbox            0x98a5eb5d RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 259
           13  com.apple.HIToolbox            0x98a5e8e2 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 526
           14  com.apple.HIToolbox            0x98a5e6bd _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 92
           15  com.apple.AppKit               0x91df0369 _DPSNextEvent + 1602
           16  com.apple.AppKit               0x91def890 -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 119
           17  com.apple.AppKit               0x91de217c -[NSApplication run] + 727
           18  com.filemaker.client.pro       0x00028602 CMacApp_Main + 418
           19  com.filemaker.client.pro       0x0015d643 main + 51
           20  com.filemaker.client.pro       0x00003826 start + 54

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro 11 Crash
          philmodjunk

Figuring out why FileMaker is crashing can require some sleuthing to rule out possible issues.

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes or “hangs”:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?
               Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

To check for possible problems on a specific computer, you may want to run a utility to check out the hard drive and also to check out the user accounts on that computer for possible problems.

What is reported when you recover the file?

The file could be damaged. Not only can file damage cause crashes, but the crashes (or forced quits after a "hang") can damage your file. You may need to test a recovered copy to see if it works without crashing.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          3.           Recover does not detect all problems
          5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

Does it always crash when you are doing the same thing with your file?
               That may point to a specific layout, script, operation that interacts with your Operating system or other applications...

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro 11 Crash
            ZacherieWalker

I do just want to make the comment that this is a common problem amongst 20-30 users on FileMaker Pro.

It's company wide, not just one computer.  I requested a few months back that people copy and paste their error logs to me and I would review the logs and find any kind of pattern going on.

I haven't necessarily gone over several months of error logs, but the few I did go over started showing that error I posted up there more common than not.

We have several different Databases that can be used.  Typical user uses 3 of those databases.  It's been crashing without a real "pattern" as to which FileMaker database it's using. 

This is during typical data entry.  Everything we've done so far, short of uninstalling/reinstalling FileMaker and rebuilding our databases, has not resolved the issue.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro 11 Crash
              ZacherieWalker

Is there any update on this?