8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2012 12:37 AM by PeterMontague

Filemaker pro 11 is working very slowly

PeterMontague

Title

Filemaker pro 11 is working very slowly

My database has been working extremely slowly. It is now hosted on a server with oditech. It is around 25mb in size. 

Simple tasks such as entereing information into fields in a find can take minutes.

Any advice?

• 1. Re: Filemaker pro 11 is working very slowly
          philmodjunk

How do you connect to your database?

How is the layout you use for data entry designed?

What features are there on your layout that might slow screen updateds?

Conditional formats?

Summary Fields?

Unstored calculations that refer to summary fields or aggregate functions such as (Sum, count, average..)?

Do you see progress bars popping up?

Coffe Cups?

or any other indicators while you wait for the screen to update?

Have you discussed this with oditech tech support to be sure that their server is functioning normally?

Acess to a remotly hosted file will be much slower than opening the file on your own computer or hosting it from a computer on your Local Network, but there are also many other factors to look--including the design of your database.

• 2. Re: Filemaker pro 11 is working very slowly
            DebLindroth

We are also having issues with speed.  We are in the process of testing Filemaker Server 11 on a virtual server.  We have tried two different levels of server, not seeing a great improvement.  We are set up to go through a VPN, tried going outside of the VPN, saw a slight increase, but not enough to make it workable.  You mention many factors can cause the speed issue.  We understand database design can be a speed issue, can you give any other specific recommendations?

• 3. Re: Filemaker pro 11 is working very slowly
              philmodjunk

Not without getting answers to my questions.

• 4. Re: Filemaker pro 11 is working very slowly
                PeterMontague
                I connect remotely, usually on my iMac. I have six layouts, but only one table. I'm working on adding another related table at the moment. I have no images. The most taxing thing I can think of are calculations. I made two major changes to my database about six weeks ago. I added 12mb of text information. I started hosting the database on Filrmaker server. I have no conditional formats. I have no summary Fields. I have no unstored calculations that refer to summary fields or aggregate functions such as (Sum, count, average..) I often see progress bars popping up especially when I do a find and replace. I have never seen coffee cups. I often see the command symbol ⌘ while it is waiting. I have contacted the provider for advice just now and I'm awaiting their reply.
                • 5. Re: Filemaker pro 11 is working very slowly
                  philmodjunk

What calculation field do you have defined in this table?

• 6. Re: Filemaker pro 11 is working very slowly
                    PeterMontague
                    I sell books online in different currencies. So a calculation is used to change the price to different currencies. I sell on different websites who have different codes for the conditions of the books. So my calculation is new =11 etc. I also have a calculation which unites text from three fields together.
                    • 7. Re: Filemaker pro 11 is working very slowly
                      philmodjunk

Do you see a lot of variation depending on from where you log on? and when? (Your access will only be as fast as your internet connection permits. If you are way out on the end of a DSL connection, you are likely not to get very good responsiveness when compared to a higher speed, higher quality connection.

• 8. Re: Filemaker pro 11 is working very slowly
                        PeterMontague

My hosting company have run some tests and they said that there is latency with my router. I am speaking to my service provider to see if they can resolve the issue for me. Thanks for your help so far.