11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2011 10:07 AM by PaulNazzaro

Filemaker Pro 11 Mac Hangs on Launch

PaulNazzaro

Title

Filemaker Pro 11 Mac Hangs on Launch

I have no idea why this is happening. I tried launching directly from the application, not a short cut as I have read, but to no help. I've had this problem for months. I have to force quit it, and the only way to get it to launch again is to restart the entire computer! Incredibly frustrating! Help if anyone has ideas. Thanks in advance. -Paul 

FMP 11v2, 10.6.5

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Mac Hangs on Launch

Paul Nazzaro:

Thanks for posting!

It's possible that the plist files for FileMaker Pro 11 are corrupt. You can find them at:

Mac HD/Users/<Your username>/Library/Preferences/

Delete any files in this folder that begin with com.filemaker and try to launch FileMaker Pro again. 

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Mac Hangs on Launch
            PaulNazzaro

Thanks TSBear,

Yes, I tried that already to no avail. Any other preferences files like at the system level that have to be trashed? Do I actually have to empty the trash - I just moved them to the trash. It's still hanging. I keep restarting. Thanks for your help!

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Mac Hangs on Launch
              philmodjunk

I see that you are using Snow Leopard. Did you upgrade your system from an older version? Did FileMaker work before you upgraded?

I'm wondering if your system has a font or font suitcase with a problem that triggers issues with Snow Leopard. Since FileMaker initializes fonts during launch.... I'm not a Mac user myself or I'd give you a more detailed description of how to fix this. I'm just reporting an issue that was frequently reported when Snow Leopard was first released. Most users who reported trouble have gotten FileMaker to work with Snow Leopard by finding and fixing the font issues and by downloading the latest system updates from Apple.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Mac Hangs on Launch
                PaulNazzaro

Thanks PhilModjunk. In fact yes, I did upgrade from FM 10. How would you know what fonts could be causing the trouble? I'm sure I have some old fonts, but all other programs have no problems.

I am fully up to date with all Apple software updates, do you mean updating fonts? Where would I get them? 

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Mac Hangs on Launch
                  philmodjunk

I meant OS updates. You can research this further by searching this forum or by researching the issue at Apple's support site.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Mac Hangs on Launch

Paul Nazzaro:

If you haven't already, you might want to try and reinstall FileMaker Pro first to rule out the simple stuff.

Otherwise, as PhilModJunk mentioned, a font issue is a possibility. OS X pulls fonts from a few different places including a user specific folder and a system folder. To narrow it down, try creating a new user and testing there. You can create a new user through the Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Accounts. Make sure you enable "Allow this user to administer this computer".

If it works in the new user account, then it has to be something on your original user account and we can investigate a little more on that end.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Mac Hangs on Launch
                      PaulNazzaro

Ok, the test user starts ok, but who knows if it would encounter the same problems after some usage like in the other user. Most of my fonts are on the system level. 

I haven't tried re-installing yet. Should I do it from the disc or just the version 2 updater to reinstall? 

I do have all Apple software up to date (and all other programs too).

• 8. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Mac Hangs on Launch
                        PaulNazzaro

ok, I tried to re-install from the version 2 updater, and got this message:

"The installation failed. The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance." 

Now what? Call Filemaker? Are they going to charge me?

• 9. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Mac Hangs on Launch

Paul Nazzaro:

Did you trash the FileMaker folder in Applications prior to attempting the reinstall? If not, we can skip the reinstall because we verified the install is valid on the new user. Otherwise, try reinstalling from your disc and then applying the v2 update if necessary.

Since we know it's a user specific issue, let's try moving the fonts out of that user specific font folder and attempting the launch again. Head to:

Mac HD/Users/<Your user>/Library/Fonts/

Is there anything in this folder? If there is, create a new folder on your desktop and move all of these fonts from that Fonts folder to the folder on your desktop. Once that's done, try launching FileMaker Pro again.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Mac Hangs on Launch
                            PaulNazzaro

Ok, I removed the fonts from the user folder onto the desktop and tried to relaunch but still hangs. 

I didn't trash the FM folder from applications before I attempted to reinstall - should I try to trash the FM folder in applicaations and then reinstall from the disk and then apply the update?

• 11. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Mac Hangs on Launch
                              PaulNazzaro

Well, I trashed the application folder from Applications and re-installed from the disk, and then applied the update, and it STILL HANGS! This is  crazy! I just want to launch the program so I can work! O, please help!