8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2011 2:30 PM by TSGal

Filemaker Pro 11.0v4 crashing on OSX Lion - any time a WebViewer is called.

DocHollywood

Title

Filemaker Pro 11.0v4 crashing on OSX Lion - any time a WebViewer is called.

I have been able to consistently crash FM Pro 11.0v4 on my OSX Lion machine - not that I wanted to, it just happens any time!

Had no problems with Snow Leopard. Now, it's all messed up. Basically, FM craps out on me any time a WebViewer is called.

How can I get to the bottom of this, not only is it impossible to work with this, but I am afraid it will corrupt out database one day if it dies all the time.

Thanks!!!

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v4 crashing on OSX Lion - any time a WebViewer is called.
          philmodjunk

Crashes can corrupt a file and corrupted files can cash crashes, so this is a very real concern.

It's my understanding that FileMaker uses a Safari "web kit" for it's web viewer on mac systems, so a problem that is also occurring with Safari and the same PDF's is definitely an indication of a possible common factor.

You do need to rule out other possible common factors, however.

Try creating a simple/small Filemaker file and set it up with a web viewer to view the same sites/pdf files and see if it also crashes. If the test file does not crash then there may be an issue with your file. In that case, you might try recovering the file to see if any problems are reported by the recover process and you can then test the recovered copy (even if recover reports no problems found), to see if it also crashes.

Had no problems with Snow Leopard. Now, it's all messed up.

Sometimes damage to a file does not result in visible problems such as a crash in one version of FileMaker or your OS, but does in another...

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
          • 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v4 crashing on OSX Lion - any time a WebViewer is called.
            DocHollywood

Thank you! That sheds some additional light on this. I suspected a Safari connection since Safari wasn't able to display PDFs following the Lion upgrade, but the Safari Web Kit connection is the missing link. 

Unless Apple fixes Safari up with the ability to render PDF's inline, I guess I won't be able to use my Filemaker anytime soon. But on Filemakers end, it would be great to have an update that prevents the entire application from crashing in case the web portal PDF can't be displayed.....

I share the concerns about the effect of the crashes on the database, but since my files are hosted on FM Server, I hope that the chance of database corruption is marginal. I also would recommend against using any recovered files. 

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v4 crashing on OSX Lion - any time a WebViewer is called.
              philmodjunk

If you have not already done so, please post this info in Report an Issue where the Filemaker Techs expect to see such bug reports. You need not reproduce all the details you've given here, but can instead include a link to this thread in your issue report to save typing.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v4 crashing on OSX Lion - any time a WebViewer is called.
                DocHollywood

Thank you for all the assistance. I think I just got one step further on this. Reading the filemaker crash report, it read:

function LocalFramePusher, file /SourceCache/JavaJDK16/JavaJDK16-383/deploy/src/plugin/share/plugin2/common/LocalFramePusher.h, line 25.

So this got me thinking, it might also have to do with the Java Environment that the WebViewer calls for. So I went into my java preferences, and disabled java support for applications. 

So when I now try to open my filemaker web viewer pages - Filemaker at least does not crash alltogether, but simply states 'plugin not activated' in the web viewer window. For me, it's a huge progress to have Filemaker not die on me anymore, but obviously this is not the solution. 

Next step: I think I'll dig into my Java environment ....

Thanks for all the help so far...

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v4 crashing on OSX Lion - any time a WebViewer is called.
                  DocHollywood

So even after a Java Update to the latest version: Filemaker still crashed on any web viewer, not just the ones displaying PDFs. 

The error code in the crash report states:

Application Specific Information:
                  objc[7351]: garbage collection is OFF
                  Assertion failed: (env != NULL), function LocalFramePusher, file /SourceCache/JavaJDK16/JavaJDK16-383/deploy/src/plugin/share/plugin2/common/LocalFramePusher.h, line 25.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v4 crashing on OSX Lion - any time a WebViewer is called.
                    FrankVanRotterdam

Same issue here.
                    I'm connecting to a remote database on a windows server with Mac OSX lion.

Connecting to the same database on my old server ( windows as well)  does not result in the crash.

Was the above case solved ?

• 7. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v4 crashing on OSX Lion - any time a WebViewer is called.
                      TSGal

Robert Zrim and Frank Van Rotterdam:

Thank you for your posts, and I apologize for the late response.

On one of my machines, I am running FileMaker Pro 11.0v4 under Mac OS X 10.7.2, and I am unable to replicate the problem either accessing a PDF file or accessing a web site.  I know that doesn't help you, so I'd like to gather some additional information.

First, Mac OS X 10.7.2 fixed a number of problems, so I'm hoping updating to Mac OS X 10.7.2 fixed the problem.  If you have updated to Mac OS X 10.7.2 and are still having the problem, I'd like to know more about what web page you are viewing so I can try it here.  Also, do you have any plug-ins installed?  If so, temporarily remove them and try again.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v4 crashing on OSX Lion - any time a WebViewer is called.
                        TSGal

Robert Zrim and Frank Van Rotterdam:

One of our other online support technicians (TSTuatara) found a machine with 10.7.1, and was unable to replicate the problem.  Here is a screen shot:

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.