4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2011 9:27 AM by DougStofel

Filemaker Pro 11: No "Deactivation" option

DougStofel

Title

Filemaker Pro 11: No "Deactivation" option

Hi all,

I recently purchased Filemaker Pro 11 via the online download option from Filemaker.com site.  I installed this on my iMac.  However, I've since changed my mind and want to install Filemaker on my Macbook Pro laptop instead.  I thought this would be as simple as selecting some sort of "deactivation" option for the filemaker Pro 11 that is currently installed on my iMac, and then once it's been deactivated on the iMac, simply installing it on my MacBook Pro.  

The problem is:  I can't find any "Deactivation" option on Filemaker Pro 11.  I looked under the Help menu, but there is no option there to "deactivate". 

Can anyone help me with the correct process to get this done?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 11: No "Deactivation" option
          Sorbsbuster

As I understand it, there is no 'Activation', so no de-activation (thank goodness; let's not go back there).  You can simply uninstall it from the first computer and install it on the second.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 11: No "Deactivation" option
            DougStofel

Thanks for the post!  

That makes sense.  I guess the only concern I have with uninstalling on my iMac and re-installing on my MacBook Pro is:  When i reinstall on my MacBook Pro, I'll be asked to provide the license key again (ie just as I had to provide it when I installed FMP 11 originally on my iMac).  Since the FMP 11 license is only good for a single installation on one computer (ie as opposed to being able to install on multiple computers used by the same owner), how will Filemaker know that I've uninstalled it from my iMac.  I mean, when I installed it originally, I had to provide the license key.  When I uninstall it, I'm just dragging the FMP11 icon to the "Trash" on my iMac.   

I'm just concerned I may get some sort of error message when I reinstall on the Macbook to the effect "There has already been an install using this license key....please provide another key).

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 11: No "Deactivation" option
              philmodjunk

Since the FMP 11 license is only good for a single installation on one computer (ie as opposed to being able to install on multiple computers used by the same owner), how will Filemaker know that I've uninstalled it from my iMac

That's no longer an issue with current versions of FileMaker. From  technical standpoint, you don't even have to uninstall FileMaker from your first machine. Unless you use both machines to access the same hosted database file, FileMaker will run just fine. If you do attempt to access as hosted file, the second copy will detect the first copy over the network, display an error message and shut down.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 11: No "Deactivation" option
                DougStofel

Thanks for the explanation!  Now it's perfectly clear!!