3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2012 1:35 AM by ChrisSmythe

FileMaker Pro 12 - IWP - Session keeps timing out

ChrisSmythe

Title

FileMaker Pro 12 - IWP - Session keeps timing out

Hello, I am using FileMaker Pro v12 on Windows XP.  Could someone please help me with the following:

When I publish my database via Instant Web Publishing using Internet Explorer v9 as my web-browser, I login OK and my database works OK.  However, in a relatively small amount of time, I keep getting a Bad Request message, advising:

The server could not process your request because your session has timed out, been closed, or communication with the server has been lost.

Is there any way to increase the time interval so that my session does not time out so quickly?

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Chris smiley

Timeout.png

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 - IWP - Session keeps timing out
          ChrisSmythe

Hello, I accidentally found the following:

I selected File > Sharing > Instand Web Publishing > Advanced Options > Specifiy > Disconnect inactive accounts: 60 minutes.

Am I able to increase the Disconnect inactive accounts for a period of time greater than 60 minutes?

Kind regards,

Chris smiley

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 - IWP - Session keeps timing out
            davidanders

http://www.filemaker-hosting.co.uk/IWP.html

Limitations of IWP

•           Only certain script steps work. (More recent versions of FMP can be set to grey out steps that fail)
            •      
            •           The FileMaker dialogue script step cannot be used
            •      
            •           It is difficult to control the way things print
            •      
            •           Only a limited number of records can be shown at one time in list view, and if the navigation bar is turned off this becomes even more problematic
            •      
            •           If you want public access but also extra functionality which requires password access you cannot use a guest account so will need to use a complex URL link that includes auto logon to a pseudo guest account. You will then need to script the solution to handle these accounts accordingly. Otherwise you can use two files which may double the hosting costs
            •      
            •           You need to handle time outs and the close/quit/exit script steps and try to mitigate data loss if the window is closed
            •      
            •           It is best to open IWP in a browser window without a back button because IWP does not handle the reloading of pages this way
            •      
            •           If you make design changes while users are using IWP the system can become unusable until they log back in
            •      
            •           Unlike FileMaker client software if you close the window the data on the page is lost unless the user has submitted it with say a submit button that triggers a commit or by changing screen/layout.

Link to FileMaker's IWP documentation. (see chapters 3 and 4)

Disconnecting inactive web accounts  PAGE 13
                 You can specify the amount of time web users remain connected to the database when their session, or connection to the web server, is idle. Sessions are considered idle when web users do not submit requests from the web browser, such as finding, creating, or submitting changes, changing layouts, and so on. A session also becomes idle when the web user closes the web browser window, moves to another web site, or quits the web browser without clicking the Log Out button.
                 To specify the duration that a session can be idle before it times out:
                 1. Open the Instant Web Publishing dialog box (see “Sharing a database with Instant Web Publishing” on page 9).
                 2. For Advanced Options, click Specify.
                 3. For Disconnect inactive accounts, specify the amount of time before disconnecting idle web users (from 1 to 60 minutes), then click OK to save the changes.
                 If you are concerned that web users might not log out of the database properly, specify a short session time out. You can also create a scripted button to automatically log web users off. See “Creating a script to log out of a database and close the session” on page 37 and “Logging out of a database and closing a web session” on page 23 for more information.

Logging out of a database and closing a web session
                 When web users are finished working with a database, it is important that they click the Log Out button in the status area and quit the web browser application. If they close browser windows or quit the browser application before logging out, their session is still open. This might:
                 prevent others from accessing the data
                 make data vulnerable to hackers until the specified time out occurs
                 If this happens, you can either wait for the session to time out or close the file on the host machine, which immediately disconnects all web users. There is no way to send a message to web users requesting that they log out of their sessions.
                 If you are concerned that web users might not log out of the database properly, you can set the session time out for a short amount of time. This minimizes the inconvenience if web users don’t log out of the database properly. See “Disconnecting inactive web accounts” on page 13 for more information. You can also create a scripted button to safely log web users off. See “Creating a script to log out of a database and close the session” on page 37.
                 If you are concerned about security, consider hosting the files with FileMaker Server and enable SSL encryption in a web browser. For more information, see the FileMaker Pro User’s Guide or FileMaker Server Help.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 - IWP - Session keeps timing out
              ChrisSmythe

Thank you DavidAnders for your kind and informative reply - very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Chris smiley