4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2012 10:02 PM by pgageler

FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced crashes appending PDF

pgageler

Title

FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced crashes appending PDF

I have a complex solution that generates multipage PDF reports, moving from layout to layout, sorting records and then saving the pages/s to PDF, each time appending the new pages.  Each of pages has multiple records, summary parts, and graphs. The solution worked fine with FileMaker 11.

However, after upgrading to v12, the same script crashes, causing the application to crash, part way through the process - on the fourth time a PDF is created.

Any idea what could be causing it?

I am running FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced on Windows 7.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced crashes appending PDF
          philmodjunk

Run a recover on your file to be sure that it is undamaged. Not only might the crash have damaged the file, file damage may have been hidden until the upgrade to a new version brought the damage to light. ( Though rare, I've seen such cases before.)

If the recover reports that the file is undamaged, try a simple test file that appends PDF's and see if it crashes.

If your test file crashes, click the Report An Issue tab above and add your report to the list of FileMaker 12 issues that are currently keeping FileMaker TS people very busy...

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced crashes appending PDF
            pgageler

Thanks PhilModMonk.  I recovered the file and there were no errors. The crash occurs when saving multiple pages with graphs, and only with some sets records (there are around 20 records in total). If I remove the chart, the pages print fine, diplaying the summary data that was used in the accompanying chart.  I have tried creating a new graph, but the same result. I think it may be to do with the records being summarised, and how the chart applies labels?  I am at a loss to work out what it is. Any other suggestions would be apprecated.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced crashes appending PDF
              philmodjunk

Did you test the recovered file and see if it crashes? Recover rebuilds field indexes and makes other changes besides searching out and correcting damage to the file so sometimes the recovered file works even though recover reported no problems found.

If you created a completely new copy of your layout (don't copy elements from the original), do you get a crash when you create PDF's from it? (Sometimes a layout get's corrupted.)

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced crashes appending PDF
                pgageler

Thanks. Yes, the recovered file has the same problem. The odd thing is that the layout all looks fine on the screen, and in preview mode you can move from page to page with all charts showing as they should. But as soon as you try to save to PDF (certaiin record sets only), the aplication crashes.

I will try recreating the layout as suggested and see if that makes a difference.