8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2012 5:32 PM by MichaelWeisenberg

Filemaker Pro 12 Layout Aberrations

MichaelWeisenberg

Title

Filemaker Pro 12 Layout Aberrations

I am a new user of Filemaker Pro 12 and I have developed a new database file. When configuring a new layout for my database, I find two aberrations and I am unsure whether to  attribute to user error (my own!) or to a Filemaker Pro bug:

FIrst, I have found in a new layout I created as a listing, some occasional stray characters or graphic figures that appear once i save & exit the layout and enter browse mode. The stray characters or graphic figures come & go and sometimes appear in layout browse mode but do not appear in preview mode (or vice versa). Occasionally, but not often, these stray graphics will also appear in a printed layout. The stray characters most often appear in my layout header and often represent some (but not all) of the text characters I may have previously entered elsewhere in the header as part of a label. 

I also find that occasionally the numeric format of a field output does not appear correctly in my layout once in browse mode. For example, I may have formated a numeric field to appear in my layout as a decimal with 0 characters, but instead it appears as a %. This only occurs in the body of my layout.  This most often occurs when I have other fields in the layout body also formatted to appear as a percentage, for which they do correctly. 

Thus far, in most instances described above, I have worked arouind the problem by deleting and then re-applying the errant field (either the text in the header or the numeric field in the body of my layout). In many cases, this seems to alleviate my problem, but it still occasionally occurs.

Please let me know if any of you have encountered similar behavior when creating new layouts and whether you believe my problem may be attributed to my own or Filemaker Pro error. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 Layout Aberrations
          philmodjunk

Can you capture a screen shot and post it?

What operating system are you using?

When the number field shows the wrong data format, if you enter layout mode, click on the field and check the data formatting in the inspector do you see the format you had selected or a format consistant with the wrong format you observed? (Does the field ignore the specified format or does the format mysteriously change?)

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 Layout Aberrations
            davidanders

As you are creating your database, do you save incremental copies as you go?

If you have such a copy that was saved before you saw the abnormal behavior, if you open a copy of that and test by importing the current data in the current problem database.

You could also perform a recover of the problem database, purely to see if any errors are reported during the recovery.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 Layout Aberrations
              MichaelWeisenberg

Phil, David,

Thanks for your assistance. FYI, I ran recover on my database file with no problems reported. I am using a MAC with OSX 7 (Lion) as my operating system. I am attaching a JPG file of my layout screenshot as suggested by Phil. Note the field labelled as "Total Number Absences" is shown formatted as a percentage in my layout body while the layout inspector format correctly shows format as decimal with 0 places. Also, please note a slight stray artifac in my header in the "Interim Quiz # 2" header label.

Please let me know of any thoughts you may have. If you believe this to be a product bug, please let me know how to report it to Filemaker. Thanks.

Michael

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 Layout Aberrations
                philmodjunk

I doubt it's a bug but could be wrong. I'd think others would be reporting a similar issue by now if it was.

This appears to be a list view of your data. Correct?

If so, enter layout mode, click the field below total number of absences and see if "ungroup" can be selected in the Arrange menu. If it can, select that option, then click somewhere else on the layout and click the field again.

In either case, now drag the field to one side. Is there a second field--perhaps a copy of the first behind it? If so, I would suspect that that extra field is the source of the percentage formatting shown.

In similar manner, I'd check the text shown in the "Interim Quiz # 2" header label and see if there is text on top of or behind this layout text. Best I can tell from here is it looks like there is an "S" sitting behind the header label. You can accidentally add layout text to a layout if you just start typing or otherwise accidentally press a few keys while in layout mode. I've even seen a user accidentally do this when the file was open with full access privileges by accidentally pressing ctrl-L (windows) and typed in data on the layout when they meant to press Shift-L to enter a capitalized letter L.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 Layout Aberrations
                  MichaelWeisenberg

Hi Phil,

You are correct in that my layout was prepared as a listing. Unfortunately, following your instructions, I was unable to choose "ungroup" from the arrange menu for my body fields. Also, there does not appear to be any text behind my Interim Quiz #2 Header label. Interestingly, in this case, the artifacs appear in browse mode for the layout. However, when I use the Preview display option, the artifacs disappear and my Total Absence body field appears formatted correctly as a decimal (but a different small artifac appears under another header label). It is because the exhibited behavior is so erratic that I believe this may be attributable to a program bug. It is not uncommon, from what I have seen in other software, to have artifacs appear on the display that do not necessarily print. Sometimes, this may be due to memory management issues in the software. 

On the other hand, it has been pointed out to me through my other posting to the 'report an issue" forum that my issues may be due to user error in my having inadvertently posted double graphics to some of my text entry. Some have suggested that this is a common error that should be addressed by Filemaker making you post text into a dedicated text box. More positively, TS Wildcat of Filemaker Support has asked that I submit my file to him for further testing. i have done so and hope to hear feedback soon. I will keep you posted as to any results I hear from my other posting. Thanks for your continuing support.

Regards,

Michael

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 Layout Aberrations
                    MichaelWeisenberg

Hi Phil,

With regard to your last posting, is there any other way to for me to identify a stray entry I may have made behind a field or a label since I apparently cannot use the ungroup command from the Arrange menu as you suggest? It's possible, however, that TS Wildcat may identify my error, if any, when testing my file for Filemaker. Thanks.

Michael

• 7. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 Layout Aberrations
                      philmodjunk

You should read my last post again. Continue with the instructions as stated. I had you check to see if they could be ungrouped and to do sof if possible, then go to the next step whether or not you could ungroup---drag the field to one side to make sure that you don't have two fields on top of each other. There are a few indicators on your screen shot that suggest that possibility.

I understand what you are satying about artifacts, but if this were the case, I'd expect to see more such reports and sooner.

• 8. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 Layout Aberrations
                        MichaelWeisenberg

Hi Phil,

Actually, although I did not indicate as such earlier, I did check to see if there was another underlying field in proximity of my existing "Total Number of Absences" field placed in the body of my layout. There is none and there is also no other label in close proximity to the "Interim Quiz #2 Grade" Header label with the stray artifact. As I stated previously, however, when I place my layout in Preview display mode, the artifact in the header label disappears and the Total Number of Absences field in the body of my layout displays properly as a decimal (although another very slight artifact appears in the label for "Student First Name" found in my header).  When I print my layout from Preview mode, the layout prints properly (no artifact in the "Interim Quiz #2 Grade" label in my header and "Total Number Absences" field in the body prints as expected as a decimal); again, however, with a very slight artifact appearing in the "Student First Name" label in my header.

It is because of the differences I see in my layout between browse and preview modes, particularly when printing, that I suspect there may be a program related issue. I continue to hope that TS Wildcat from Filemaker Support will identify the problem in my file, whether program related or not. Please let me know if you have any other thoughts as to the cause of my issues. Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Michael