8 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2012 12:17 PM by jasongan_1

FileMaker Pro 12 Serious Problem

jasongan_1

Title

FileMaker Pro 12 Serious Problem

Hi All

I have FM Pro 12 and server installed for about a week now. My Database is about 800MB. Everything seems fine after I convert the database from FMP 11. But today I am having problem : if I am editing a field and without using TAB or Return to move to next field, then I hit a button to do find, very often I get error, saying something caused FileMaker Pro stopped working. then if I ok this error message, my FMP 12 exits. I can restart FMP and  log in again. but if I do the samething, the same problem most likely will re-occur.

I did check the logs from the FM 12 Server, but I just found " the user has stopped responding ....".

That is very bad. it makes me not feel comfitable for this new upgrade.

Please help. 

-------

Thanks Davidanders to remind me to detail my system environment. and here it is:

-------

My environment is: Windows 2003 with FM 12 server; Windows 7 or Windows XP SP3 with FMP 12 Adv. or FMP 12.

Each FMP 12 desktop opens the Database hosted by the FM 12 server. The button hosts a simple script to find orders.

This problem happened to both Windows 7 and Windows XP desktop.

Thanks,

Jason Gan

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 Serious Problem
          davidanders

Is it the script attached to the button you mention?

Are you on Windows? Are you opening the database with FMP on the server or a local computer? WinXP on Server? Win7 on local? there are many possible setup and steps taken questions that would be helpful.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 Serious Problem
            jasongan_1

Thanks Davidanders.

My environment is: Windows 2003 with FM 12 server; Windows 7 or Windows XP SP3 with FMP 12 Adv. or FMP 12.

Each FMP 12 desktop opens the Database hosted by the FM 12 server. The button hosts a simple script to find orders. 

This problem happened to both Windows 7 and Windows XP desktop.

Regards,

Jason Gan

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 Serious Problem
              philmodjunk

Figuring out why FileMaker is crashing can require some sleuthing to rule out possible issues.

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes or “Hangs”:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?
              Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

To check for possible problems on a specific computer, you may want to run a utility to check out the hard drive and also to check out the user accounts on that computer for possible problems.

To rule out some other issues with your specific computer on Windows systems,

Select Run from the start menu and type in:

msconfig

Then, under the Services tab, you can stop all non-Microsoft services. If this solves the issue, then you need to look at what services you stopped and see which is one is the culprit.

What is reported when you recover the file?
              The file could be damaged. Not only can file damage cause crashes, but the crashes (or forced quits after a "hang") can damage your file. You may need to test a recovered copy to see if it works without crashing.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
              2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
              3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

Does it always crash when you are doing the same thing with your file?
              That may point to a specific layout, script, operation that interacts with your Operating system or other applications...

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 Serious Problem
                jasongan_1

Thanks for your advice, Phil.

I don't believe I am the only one to come accross the problem. and it is very hard to find out what is wrong and causing this happen.

What I found is: if I enter or edit that field, and go to another field, and stay for a short time, then hit that button again, it works fine.

If I click that button while the cursor is still in that field box, most likely it will cause FMP 12 crash!

Hope this could be a clue that somebody could point me out where the problem might be.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Jason Gan 

• 5. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 Serious Problem
                  jasongan_1

Just update so someone could advise me how to resolve this problem.

I got event viewer from my windows 7 for this FMP12 crash:

----

Faulting application name: FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe, version: 12.0.1.183, time stamp: 0x4f62a0d3
                  Faulting module name: FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe, version: 12.0.1.183, time stamp: 0x4f62a0d3
                  Exception code: 0xc0000005
                  Fault offset: 0x00092d4d
                  Faulting process id: 0xa98
                  Faulting application start time: 0x01cd2f7380367ed3
                  Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced\FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe
                  Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced\FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe
                  Report Id: 5dddb383-9b6b-11e1-b30c-0026b97b2d18

----

Thanks,

Jason Gan

• 6. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 Serious Problem
                    philmodjunk

Did you run any of the tests I suggested?

I recommend that you do so. These tests will help determine whether the issue lies with your database file, your computer, or with the Filemaker software.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 Serious Problem

Perhaps rewriting your script to make it a clean script:

For the Find Button

Enter Browse Mode
                      Commit Record <--- Filemaker Developers seldom do this
                      Go To Layout for Find
                      enter Find mode
                      set fields
                      Perform Find 
                      Go To Form Layout
                      Enter Browse Mode

I have also been experiencing crashes with Go 12 and Pro 12 on occassion.

It's kinda late to lock the barn after the horses have galloped away, but one should not ever convert a working solution until v3 of the software has been delivered and even then with fingers crossed. 

• 8. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 Serious Problem
                        jasongan_1

I tried Phil's suggestioins, I couldn't figure out which application causes the problem.

I tried Jack's suggestion, I still couldn't avoid FM to crash.

But if I use FM Advanced and leave the script debugger window open, while I am editing the field, I then quickly click on the find order button,

and I follow the debugger to run step by step until end, the system will not crash and it is working fine.

If I don't have the script debugger open, and do the same thing, the FM system will crash right away.

I asked support from FileMaker, they told me they could replicate the issue, and they are aware of it and are working on it.

I hope there is some solution coming up soon.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Jason Gan