1 Reply Latest reply on May 22, 2009 5:40 AM by comment_1

FileMaker Pro 3 - Cyrillic Font

hughjars99

Title

FileMaker Pro 3 - Cyrillic Font

Hi all,

I've been sent a FileMaker 3 database that has Russian (cyrillic) font for that data. Currently, my office doesnt have FileMaker but we would purchase FileMaker Pro 10 to view this data if it was going to be compatible with the Russian FileMaker Pro 3 file.

I downloaded the trial version of FileMaker Pro 10 to see if we could view the data but the trial version doesnt support cyrillic and the data is garbage. Would purchasing the full verion allow me to view the data in the cyrillic font it was created in originally? And are FileMaker Pro 3 files compatible with Pro 10?

Any help before we purchase this application would be much appreciated!

Cheers

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro 3 - Cyrillic Font
          comment_1

hughjars99 wrote:
          Would purchasing the full verion allow me to view the data in the cyrillic font it was created in originally?

No - there are no additional features in the full version. You could try modifying the converted file to use a compatible font - IF a compatible font can be found.

The issue (or rather, one of the issues) here is that Filemaker switched to Unicode in version 7. Previous versions use a different type of encoding. This is further complicated by the fact that the encoding is different for Windows and Macintosh platforms - so Windows users may see "garbage" in a file sent to them by a Mac user, even if they are all using the same (pre-7) version of Filemaker.

I think your best bet would be to ask the author to send you the data as a Unicode text file, which you can then import to the converted solution.