1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 21, 2009 10:26 AM by philmodjunk

Filemaker Pro 5 Field narrow search help

ahutler

Title

Filemaker Pro 5 Field narrow search help

Help!
      I want to narrow a search on a field for Filemaker Pro 5. The field is named "Location", I work at a museum and the collection has close to 5,000 pieces. I don't want a list of 5,000 pieces' locations, but I do want a list of all possible locations currently under that field, such as Gallery 1 or Bassment. This should be a list of around 50 locations. I have no idea how to do this and can't find any such thing in the user manual.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 5 Field narrow search help
          philmodjunk

I had to open an old copy of FMP 5.5 to check but this works out just about the same in FMP 10 as it does in this much older version:

Your location must be a stored field that can be indexed.

Define a value list and use the Specify Field option to specify your location field as the source of Location values. Let's name this value list "Location List".

Define a calculation field set to return text:

ValueListItems ( Status ( CurrentFileName ), "Location List" )

In FMP 10, this would read: ValueListItems ( Get ( FileName ), "Location List" )

Put this field on a layout and either resize it tall enough so that you can see all the values or give it a scroll bar.

Note: ValueListItems returns an empty string if the value list does not exist with the same exact name.