7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2008 2:17 PM by gvaughn

Filemaker Pro 5 on Mac OSX?

gvaughn

Title

Filemaker Pro 5 on Mac OSX?

Is there a way I can install Filemaker Pro 5 on a Mac running OS-X 10.4.11?

I inserted the CD, followed the Getting Started Guide instructions to click on "Start Here", and got the  message "You cannot open the application "Start Here" because it is not supported on this system."

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 5 on Mac OSX?
          TSGal

gvaughn:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro 5 was released in 1999, and OS X 10.0 was released in 2001.  Although some users were able to run FileMaker Pro on OS 10, most users updated to FileMaker Pro 6.  We are now at FileMaker Pro 9, and it is fully supported on OS X.  Unfortunately, the earliest version on my Mac machine is FileMaker Pro 6, and although it isn't supported on Mac OS 10.5.5, I am able to do some basic testing on it.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 5 on Mac OSX?
            Kundinger

Hi "gvaughn",

You may have a "Classic" version of the FMP installer.  "Classic" refers to the Mac OS (9.2.2 & below) prior to Mac OS X.  You may need to have "Classic" installed on a PowerPC Mac before installing FMP.  You CAN run FMP in "Classic", running on OS X 10.0 to 10.4 on a PowerPC Mac ONLY.

I hope this helps you and any other interested readers... Good Luck!!!

Kundinger

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 5 on Mac OSX?
              gvaughn

Thanks to both of you for the information.  I know that FMP5 is quite old, but I'm only using it for an experimental application designed by a friend several years ago using that version. He says it will not work on later versions of FM. 

Yes, the installer apparently works only with the Mac Classic OS, and apparently there is a workaround for PowerPC Macs, but it sounds like I'm out of luck with an Intel-based Mac. If anybody knows otherwise, I'd sure appreciate hearing about it.

- Greg 

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 5 on Mac OSX?
                raybaudi

Hi gvaughn

"I know that FMP5 is quite old, but I'm only using it for an experimental application designed by a friend several years ago using that version. He says it will not work on later versions of FM."

I'm not so sure that it will not work on newer versions... Did you tray it ?

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 5 on Mac OSX?
                  gvaughn

Hi Danielle,

My friend tells me that he would need to extensively re-write/re-code/re-script the application for any version of FMP above 6. I was hoping that I could use v5 on my Mac since I have been using the application and that version of FMP on my PC. 

- Greg 

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 5 on Mac OSX?
                    davidanders

From Experience.

FMPro v5.5 will run on OSX 10.2 thru 10.5.5.

FMPro v5.5 will run in classic under OSX 10.4 or earlier.

FMPro v6 will run on OSX 10.2 thru 10.5.5

FMPro v6 will run in classic under OSX 10.4 or earlier.

Unsure about v5, but I doubt it. 

• 7. Re: Filemaker Pro 5 on Mac OSX?
                      gvaughn
                         Thanks, David.  Your list is very helpful.