8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2010 3:08 PM by philmodjunk

Filemaker Pro 5.5 - Unique printing question

donviper

Title

Filemaker Pro 5.5 - Unique printing question & another issue.

First off let me say that I am very new to FileMaker Pro. I am only using this at my job because we need to change our existing label to print a different field on it. The person who setup and created our custom database hasn't worked here for over 6 years. We can not edit her original files and she cannot be contacted.

My work has an old version of FileMaker Pro 5.5

Operating System : Windows XP

FileMaker Pro knowledge on a scale of 1 - 10, I rate myself at 5, maybe 6, lol.

I have attached an image to help with my description. I only got as far as creating the layout and linking the NEW, DELETE, and EXIT buttons. I only made the NEW button green and the PRINT button yellow because these are the only two buttons that are most dominately used.

1st task I hope to have help with accomplishing:

Current we have almost the same layout as the one I attached to this forum. When we click on the PRINT button, it prints two pieces of information onto a 1.25" wide by 0.25" high label. The two pieces of information are the Lot Number and the Board Number. Basically, I need to get the PRINT button on the new form to do the same thing, but instead have the WIP Number and the Board Number. printed on the same size label. As I mentioned, I am very new to FileMaker Pro and I'm sure this is going to be a very complicated script or something and I really hope some of you very experienced users can help me out here. Currently our old database layout shows CURRENT RECORD as default when printing the labels out, which is what I need the new one to also do. Otherwise, when someone hits the print button, it's going to print every entry I imagine. As an added bonus, if it is possible, it would be great if the Quantity field on the layout would carry over into the PRINT dialog so a number doesn't have to be entered there, but this is the least of my worries.

2nd task:

Our old database layout has a FIND button that when pressed, brings up another form that the user can enter any of the following criteria:

Date Of Entry

Lot No.

Board No.

Board Name

Employee No.

Operation (SMT, Laser, Hand Stuff)

Machine (1, 2, 3, 4 or N/A)

I would like to know how to make this FIND button do the same thing for the new database layout. I am sure that it has something to do with Define Relationships, but then again......I'm not that experienced with FileMaker Pro. So I need to know how to create this secondary search form and have these fields able to take data entry to help locate previously run boards depending on some of the fields listed above. Some are redundant and need to be changed and removed.

And last but not least, my 3rd task is :

There are two fields for data entry on my database layout. They are Board Number & Board Name. On the old database file the woman created for us ages ago (2002), when you enter in the Board Number, the following field directly below it (Board Name) is automatically filled in with the appropriate matching data to the Board Number.

(Ex. by entering 817012 into the Board Number field, the board name; PTM301 would be entered automatically into the Board Name field below.)

I know this is a lot to request and I probrably should have requested each of these as a seperate message, my apologies. I don't really have a deadline for this and I am very excited to learn anything new, especially when it comes to technology. I am a quick learner and if anyone here can help me with even just one of these issues I would greatly appreciate it. They did drop this in my lap however because I am the only person left at my job with computer skills (Access, Excel, Photoshop, etc.)

Or, if anyone can tell me how to pull this information out of the old .fp5 files that she created ages ago, I'd also love to experiment there.

FileMakerPro_Harris_Board_Database

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 5.5 - Unique printing question & another issue.
          philmodjunk

donviper wrote:

1st task I hope to have help with accomplishing:

Current we have almost the same layout as the one I attached to this forum. When we click on the PRINT button, it prints two pieces of information onto a 1.25" wide by 0.25" high label. The two pieces of information are the Lot Number and the Board Number. Basically, I need to get the PRINT button on the new form to do the same thing, but instead have the WIP Number and the Board Number. printed on the same size label. As I mentioned, I am very new to FileMaker Pro and I'm sure this is going to be a very complicated script or something and I really hope some of you very experienced users can help me out here. Currently our old database layout shows CURRENT RECORD as default when printing the labels out, which is what I need the new one to also do. Otherwise, when someone hits the print button, it's going to print every entry I imagine. As an added bonus, if it is possible, it would be great if the Quantity field on the layout would carry over into the PRINT dialog so a number doesn't have to be entered there, but this is the least of my worries.

Is this an Avery label? If so, create a new layout, select the labels option, enter the avery number and then you'll be able to specify the fields you want to place on the label. If this isn't an Avery label, you can take the same path, but enter the dimensions of your label instead of specifying a label format by number. You may need to set up a custom page size in your Windows Printers and Faxes control panel that matches the size of your label. (Then the printer won't attempt to advance the page 11" after printing the label.)

2nd task:

Our old database layout has a FIND button that when pressed, brings up another form that the user can enter any of the following criteria:

Date Of Entry

Lot No.

Board No.

Board Name

Employee No.

Operation (SMT, Laser, Hand Stuff)

Machine (1, 2, 3, 4 or N/A)

I would like to know how to make this FIND button do the same thing for the new database layout. I am sure that it has something to do with Define Relationships, but then again......I'm not that experienced with FileMaker Pro. So I need to know how to create this secondary search form and have these fields able to take data entry to help locate previously run boards depending on some of the fields listed above. Some are redundant and need to be changed and removed.

This can be done by defining global fields for each such field and placing them on your search layout. Then you write a script of the form:

Enter Find Mode[]

Set Field [Field1; gGlobalField1]

Set Field [Field2; gGlobalField2]

and so forth for each field

Perform find[]

And last but not least, my 3rd task is :

There are two fields for data entry on my database layout. They are Board Number & Board Name. On the old database file the woman created for us ages ago (2002), when you enter in the Board Number, the following field directly below it (Board Name) is automatically filled in with the appropriate matching data to the Board Number.

(Ex. by entering 817012 into the Board Number field, the board name; PTM301 would be entered automatically into the Board Name field below.)

This is either a looked up value, an auto-entered calculation or a calculation field. There's probably a second file of this information with a relationship linking it to your first file. Can the field be edited? If so, it's either of the first two options. If it can't be edited, its probably a calculation field.

I know this is a lot to request and I probrably should have requested each of these as a seperate message, my apologies.

Apology accepted! :smileywink:

That said, I've given you only general outlines of how to do each task. I suggest taking on one at a time and posting back to the forum with specific questions as you encounter problems.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 5.5 - Unique printing question & another issue.
            donviper

Thanks for your reply. When I said I was new to FileMaker, I meant really new, lol.

Ok, I am trying to tackle the 2nd task first. Making the Layout enter matching Boardname to BoardNumber information from a new database I created that has two fields in it (Board Number & Board Name). I want the employee to be able to enter a Board Number in the board number field and have the matching Board Name automatically fill into the Board Number field below.

To answer your question, no I cannot edit any of the old 2002 Filemaker files that the previous creator made.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 5.5 - Unique printing question & another issue.
              philmodjunk

That actually sounds different from item 2 in your original post. That describes setting up a search page to find records. In this case either a looked up value or data from a related field can be used for what you want. The devil is in the details.

Tell me more about what you want to do with this task. Are you finding an existing record or creating a new record that brings in data from another record and/or file?

If you are creating a new record, do you want this data from the other record/file to automatically update when it is changed in the source record or is it a "snap shot" of current values at the time you selected/entered a "board number"?

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 5.5 - Unique printing question & another issue.
                donviper

Phil,

You are correct, this was actually the 3rd task I had originally posted, sorry.

What I am hoping to be able to create is when a user puts in a Board Number (ex. 817012), the next field will enter the Board name that corresponds with the part number 817012.

So basically if this line was the Board Number field: 817012

and this line was the Board Name Field: PTM301  (to be auto-filled from the number that was manually entered in the field (line) above. 

So I have another Database file created with FileMaker Pro 5.5 and it has just 2 fields.

We have no manual for this software and everyone that worked with it years ago, no longer works there, lol.

Thanks for your help Phil, I really appreciate it.

Don

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 5.5 - Unique printing question & another issue.
                  philmodjunk

I had to open an old copy of 5.5 just to make sure what I'm about to describe makes sense :smileywink:

You have two files: File 1 is where you want to see the board names when a board number is entered. File 2 has two fields: BoardNumber and BoardName.

In file 1, use define relationships to link it to File 2. Link your board number field in file 1 to the board number field in file 2.

Now enter layout mode and use the field tool to add a field to your layout to show the name. In the specify field dialog that pops up, click on the drop down menu and select the BoardName field from file 2.

Now, when you enter a number in File 1's board number field, the corresponding name from file 2 should appear.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 5.5 - Unique printing question & another issue.
                    donviper

Phil,

Thanks so much! I will try this tomorrow afternoon at work. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this on your end. It's more than I ever expected.

I will repost tomorrow with my newbie results, lol.

Thanks again,

Don

• 7. Re: Filemaker Pro 5.5 - Unique printing question & another issue.
                      donviper

Phil,

Thanks again my man! This database link is complete. Task 1 of 3 done!

I'm not sure how to mark this thread as SOLVED, but you are the man! Thanks again!

Now I'm trying to get the label print working. I have just updated my post with an image of a successful label print.

http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=FM-en-4&message.id=40683#M40683

I'm not sure how to mark this thread

• 8. Re: Filemaker Pro 5.5 - Unique printing question & another issue.
                        philmodjunk
                           Click the green control on the right hand side of your screen. You can click this for any post in the thread so you can identify the specific post that answered your question.