3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2010 8:52 AM by philmodjunk

Filemaker Pro 6 - Images captured on Mac OSX will not show in container field when veiwed on XP OS

GRB

Title

Filemaker Pro 6 - Images captured on Mac OSX will not show in container field when veiwed on XP OS

Dear All,

I've been working on a catalogue for some zoological specimens which includes a picture of each specimen. We are using Filemaker Pro 6 and the data has been collected by various workers using XP and one user of Mac OSX.

When I open the records photographed on a mac on my XP/Vista machine, the image files do not show and I either get a message to use a newer version of quicktime (tried and failed) or simply no image. Opening the file on another mac causes the images to display correctly again.

All the other fields import between the various OS with no problems, only the container images fail to function. Short of rephotographing all the specimens from the Mac, or using Mac OSX only, I have no idea how to make the images display on both OS. Due to the size of the catalogues, many of the original image files have been deleted (the catalogue has some 10,000 specimens of which 550 are displaying incorrectly).

I'm relatively new to fmp and can manage the usual running tasks OK but any scripting might need to be stepwise so I can cope :P Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,

GRB

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 6 - Images captured on Mac OSX will not show in container field when veiwed on XP OS
          philmodjunk

I never had a copy of Filemaker 6, but do have a copy of Filemaker 5.5 still installed. Given your description, this sounds like this part of filemaker is the same for both versions. Under document preferences, there's an option labled "store compatible graphics". For cross platform compatibility this option needs to be selected on your windows platform. If memory serves me correct, you may need to extract the images from the file, take them to the windows machine and re-insert them. This is not a task that's easy to automate, but it can be done.

Your other option would be upgrade to a newer version of filemaker.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 6 - Images captured on Mac OSX will not show in container field when veiwed on XP OS
            GRB

Thanks Phil, I'll try that as soon as I can get hold of a mac and see if that works.

How would I extract images from the file? I've tried to select images before but in the container there's only the option to add something over them, and IIRC export doesn't allow you to export container fields.

Thanks,

Grant

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 6 - Images captured on Mac OSX will not show in container field when veiwed on XP OS
              philmodjunk

In later versions you can export the field contents to a file. In fact, downloading a free trial copy of Filemaker 10, converting a copy of your file and then using this feature it export the images might be you're best way to extract the images. With your version, the only method I'm aware of is to copy the images to the clipboard and paste them into another application where you can save them as a Jpeg or other graphic format file.

Before you do that though, check to see if simply changing the preferences to store compatible graphics fixes the problem without having to do this. I'm going by memory here and might not be remembering accurately.