1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2011 5:53 AM by rjlevesque

Filemaker Pro 7 unexpectedly quits when exporting file

stokesy

Title

Filemaker Pro 7 unexpectedly quits when exporting file

I'm using an "Export File" script via a button. Running Mac OS 10.5.8. This export script always has worked in the past, exporting the file to my desktop. Now, the program unexpectedly quits.

Script is defined as follows:

Export Field Contents [Sources::File scanned]

Any ideas on how to restore this function would be appreciated.

Ell

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 7 unexpectedly quits when exporting file
          philmodjunk

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?

Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

The file could be damaged.

What is reported when you recover the file?

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
          • 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 7 unexpectedly quits when exporting file
            stokesy

I'm not sure I'm understanding which "file" you are referring to. It seems as if you are talking about the FM7 database file. That file is working fine in all regards except for this one script within the database file.

The script that is not working is part of a two-step process that's supposed to export a linked file as follows:

1st button is working fine; it executes a script to "Insert file" into a "container field." It allows me to navigate to my hard drive and find the file I want to insert. This is so I can keep track of a scanned image or transcript that is related to each particular record. it might be a pdf, jpg, rtf, etc.

2nd button causes an unexpected quit regardless of the file I'm trying to export: it executes a script to "export file" to my desktop, without having to navigate to the file (that I had inserted in with button #1) on my hard drive.

Does this help clarify the problem I'm having? It has always worked in the past, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working now (unless it's due to the new system software I installed a couple of months ago. I probably haven't used this feature since I installed the new OS, so I can't be sure when it last worked.)

I don't think the "Recover" feature would help in this case.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 7 unexpectedly quits when exporting file
              philmodjunk

Because a basic Filemaker operation is crashing FileMaker, you need to play detective for a bit to figure out where the problem may be.

It is very possible that your file may be damaged, but several other possibilities exist. You need to run down the list of possiblie options to rule out possible cuases.

Try using export field contents from the edit menu to see if you can export this field without using the script to see if that also produces a crash.

Create a small file with a container field and import/insert one of your files in to the container field and see if it can be exported successfully. If you can export field contents from this small test file, it becomes much more likely that your file has become damaged in some way. Running recover on your file is one basic test you can run to try to find out.

If exporting manually does not crash FileMaker, compare the script to what you did by hand to see if anything was done differently. If not, you may be able to correct the problem by replacing your script with a new copy of the same, but it's safer to replace your file with a back up copy.

If your test file also crashes, then you can check to see if your hard drive and user accounts on your computer are in good order. There are utilities that can check for you.

Re-installing FileMaker and/or removing FileMaker's preference file (on Mac systems) is an option you can try if nothing else seems to fix this.

You may also try saving a copy of your file with the compressed option and see if that behaves differently.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 7 unexpectedly quits when exporting file
                stokesy

Ok, I'll give your suggestions a try and let you know.

Thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 7 unexpectedly quits when exporting file
                  stokesy

I tried a creating a new file with just a container and two buttons.

This time I used the prepackaged scripts available through the button behavior menu. (in the old file I used a "perform script" function in the button behavior menu and then selected a script written with the script editor.)

Same result. FM7 "unexpectedly quits when I his the "export file contents" button.

I'll do disk first aid to check my hard drive, and try again.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 7 unexpectedly quits when exporting file
                    stokesy

OK, I ran disk first aid and repaired permissions. Checked the disk also, and it's OK.

I tried using export field contents from the edit menu, and it "unexpectedly quit."

Removed Filemaker Preferences, restarted --  same result.

I can't reinstall Filemaker at this time since the disks are down South at our winter home, so, I guess I'll just have to live with this for now.

Thanks again for your help.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Pro 7 unexpectedly quits when exporting file
                      philmodjunk

Hmmm, you may have tried this already, but if not, try exporting more than one file from your container field to confirm whether you get a crash with any exported file or just one specific file...

• 8. Re: Filemaker Pro 7 unexpectedly quits when exporting file
                        stokesy

Yup, tried muliple files to export, and multiple formats -- jpg, pdf, rtf. Same results. It quits whenever I hit the export button, or even doing it via the edit menu.

• 9. Re: Filemaker Pro 7 unexpectedly quits when exporting file
                          stokesy

I sent my test file to a friend and she said it worked fine for her. Exported the file to the desktop for her with no problem. So it must be my FMPro 7.0v3 needs to be reinstalled.

By the way, I tried to run recover on the data file, it apparently recovered it, but it crashed the program doing so. When I open the recovered file, it has question marks in all of the container fields, and hitting the export button crashes the program.

• 10. Re: Filemaker Pro 7 unexpectedly quits when exporting file
                            philmodjunk

You might ask your friend to run a recover on a copy of your file just to see what you get here. I think you have definitely narrowed down the issue to the most likely cause and fix ( a re-install), but issues with your computer not successfully identified and repaired might still be a factor here even though you've run disk first aid and repaired permissions.

• 11. Re: Filemaker Pro 7 unexpectedly quits when exporting file
                              rjlevesque

I really hate to throw this idea in, but is it possible this simple script also interacts with some depreciated scripting since this is an older version of FMP? Or maybe an upgrade will fix the issue right away...

Things change and cause havoc...

• 12. Re: Filemaker Pro 7 unexpectedly quits when exporting file
                                philmodjunk

Don't see how that would apply to crashes that take place when you select export field contents from the edit menu--a feature still current in the latest version ;-)

On the other hand if your friend's system is on a different OS (or OS version) or has a different version of FileMaker installed, that difference could be enough for damage to the file to be "tolerated" on your friends system where produces crashes on yours. That's why I suggested having your friend perform a recover as a way to rule out such a possibility.

• 13. Re: Filemaker Pro 7 unexpectedly quits when exporting file
                                  rjlevesque

Correct, but not all script syntax has stayed the same or stayed for that matter...just wondering does the export script interact with anything else? Or just that one single export function alone?

I only ask because of the same reason you instructed him to trouble shoot...because normally there just isn't anything that can go wrong with an export command. hehehe

• 14. Re: Filemaker Pro 7 unexpectedly quits when exporting file
                                    philmodjunk

Yeah, but he get's the same crash without using the script.

1 2 Previous Next