1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 7, 2010 10:56 AM by philmodjunk

FileMaker Pro 7.0 on Leopard--relational fields--HELP!

museumgeek

Title

FileMaker Pro 7.0 on Leopard--relational fields--HELP!

Hello,

I am fairly new to FM, working with a database set up by a much more experienced former employee. She set up our database using relational tables to create new records via portals. This has worked well for the most part. However, I set up a new layout that is also populated by one of the existing portals and there is a glitch. In the new layout only, some of the fields in records that share relational numbers automatically copy. What is even more strange is that some of the fields that are mimicking others are edit boxes. I am at a loss as to why the fields are acting this way.

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated. We're on a tight deadline and need this database to finish our deliverable. I am willing to send a copy of the file along if needed as I'm sure I'm not explaining this well.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro 7.0 on Leopard--relational fields--HELP!
          philmodjunk

Such "automatic copy" effects have three causes that I know of:

1. If the field is the key field used in the relationship on which the portal is based and "allow creation of records via this relationship is enabled" then filemaker automatically copies the matching value from the parent record when the new portal record is created by entering data in a field in the portal.
          2. In the field options for a given field, an auto-enter feature can be enabled that uses either "looked up value" or a calculation to automatically enter data into the field. Find the field's definition and check its field options to check this out.
          3. The field could be a calculation field that is pulling data from other fields and/or tables. Check the field's definitions to see.