7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2011 4:59 PM by ThomasWaldron

Filemaker pro 8.5 "Filemaker cannot share files over the Web because Instant Web Publishing could...

ThomasWaldron

Title

Filemaker pro 8.5 "Filemaker cannot share files over the Web because Instant Web Publishing could not be started"

Hi!

I've been working on publishing a database for use within our office. I had a test copy of our database working  - had it published to the web and open on another computer. But as soon as I tried publishing the actual database filemaker froze and on restarting the program I started getting this message.  

"Filemaker cannot share files over the Web because Instant Web Publishing could not be started"

I've looked through the forums and found that others have had this problem as well, but none of the fixes seem to be working. 

I'm running filemaker pro 8.5 on a Mac.

The copy database was stored on my local computer, while the actual is stored on our central server. I thought this might be a problem but I can't get web publishing to work on the local copy either. 

I've tried turning sharing off and on under network settings - no effect either way. 

I am not running filemaker server or any other conflicting program.

There were not any updates between working and not working. 

I've restarted the program and the computer with no change. 

I can't change the port settings because I can't get the web publishing to turn on - the advanced options button is greyed out. 

Short of reinstalling filemaker, any more suggestions?? I don't have access to the original cd so reinstalling would be...difficult. 

As an interesting side effect... it used to take several minutes to load the database from the central server and it now takes as long as it does to load the local test copy. Weird, and I'm not going to complain, but this change happened at the same time I was unable to load the web publishing so maybe they're related?

Thanks, I appreciate any and all help.