1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 12, 2011 4:55 PM by c.wagner1

FileMaker Pro 8.x on Mac OS X 10.4.x to 10.6.x Instant web publishing problems solved!

RyanAdolphson

Title

FileMaker Pro 8.x on Mac OS X 10.4.x to 10.6.x Instant web publishing problems solved!

After crawling though forum after forum and console logs trying to figure out why I couldn’t get FM 8.x web publishing to work I finally got it to work. I hope this helps people down the road, and prevent them having to restore/uninstall.

On launch of file maker OR trying to enable web publishing for the 1st time if you get an error message along the lines of this:

“File Maker cannot share files over the Web because Instant Web Publishing could not be started.”

There is a fix for it and its pretty simple.

Step 1: Locate and remove/rename your web.pref file which can be located ~/Users/$Your User Account$/Documents/FileMaker Server Data

(NOTE: this may differ on your system)

Step 2: Repair File permissions and clear ACL’s for all files located in the FileMaker Pro Application folder ~/Application/FileMaker Pro 8

(NOTE: BatChmod does a good and quick job of this just make sure to clear all ACL’s and apple to all enclosed folders and files)

Step 3: Launch FileMaker Pro

I have tried this on 3 different servers 1 funning 10.4 another 10.5 and another 10.6 (don’t ask) all 3 had the same error and I am now able to launch FileMaker with out any errors or problems.