1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2010 4:27 AM by knops

Filemaker Pro 9 doesn't start anymore

knops

Title

Filemaker Pro 9 doesn't start anymore

Hello, I have used Filemaker Pro 9 since 2 years, never a problem. Yesterday I wanted to open a filemaker-file and nothing happened. When I start the application I get a message (in Dutch) which tells me the application can not be started because of a failure in the configuration. Re-installing might solve the problem it says then.

I re-installed the software (repair-mode): nothing. Then I removed the software and did a new install: nothing !

What should I do ?????

warning message

I run Windows XP SP 3.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 doesn't start anymore
          applelakshan1

Hi Knops

I  dont Know if i am late reply. i am not a filemaker expert . But try to create new user. after that log in from that account .

lakshan

10.6.2/win xp

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 doesn't start anymore
            knops

Hello applelakshan,

I tried what you suggested but unfortunately I get exactly the same error-message. In the mean time customer support sent me a new licence key but that doesn't work either.

Pretty desparate !! Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 doesn't start anymore
              applelakshan1

Try this

01.Remove FMP from the CD or image

02 Click on the "Start" menu, mouse-over the "All Programs" list, open the "Accessories" folder, and open the "System Tools" folder

03. Click on the "Disk Cleanup" program.

04. Select the drive letter of the hard drive that contains your system cache (usually the "C" drive).

05. Check off all of the boxes next to the different file types. This will remove all unnecessary temporary files from your computer, clearing out the system cache.

06. Click the "OK" button to begin the cleaning process.

07. Install the FMP and Update it

thanks

Lakshan

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 doesn't start anymore
                knops

Dear Applelakshan1,

Thanks again for your help !

I did exactly what you said and then tried to install FM 9 again. By the end of the installation the program (or Windows?) tells me I don't have enough rights to install the software.... strange because I'm the only user and administrator of my PC. Anyhow, after rebooting the installation went OK .... but on starting FM 9 same **bleep** again...... !

What next ??? I don't know anymore.... 

Regards,

Cor.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 doesn't start anymore
                  applelakshan1

Can you please sen me the english translation of the error message

thanks

By the way when you install the software have you enable any virus guard or any other protection software.

if yes please disable and try it.

Lakshan

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 doesn't start anymore
                    knops

Hello again,

The english translation would read:

"The application can not be started because the configuration of this application is wrong. Re-installation of the application might solve the problem."

I indeed have 2 antivirus/spyware progs running: McAfee Virusscan Enterprise and PC Tools Spyware Doctor... I'll disable them and try again....

• 7. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 doesn't start anymore
                      knops

Unfotunately: same message again.... :smileymad:

• 8. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 doesn't start anymore
                        braxton

Are you sure you are uninstalling correctly?  I haven't installed FM in a while.  Many software programs when going to the installer will give an option to uninstall.  I can't recall if FM has this option.  You should use this when uninstalling the software if it's available.  Just an idea for you.

• 9. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 doesn't start anymore
                          knops

Hello Braxton,

Yes, that's how I uninstalled the software: by running the original setup-file and then choose "remove". By the way: I also removed all keys in the registry related to Filemaker 9 (and Filemaker 3 and 4 which I had in the middle ages).......

• 10. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 doesn't start anymore
                            braxton

I am a Mac person so not sure what to do here.  When Macs get squirrely we reset permissions.  We can also start up the disc utility to look for errors.  Can you do anything similar on the PC? Are any other programs behaving this way?  I am wondering if there is something up with your operating system and not Filemaker.  I wonder if Windows support could help?  If other programs are behaving this way you might try a clean install of your operating system and start over again after backing up your e-mail and other files.  This sort of crazy stuff is one reason why I keep a couple of clones of my hard drive as a backup - one in a fireproof safe and another offsite.  Oh....one more thing...just in case...have you restarted after uninstalling and the other stuff your doing.  Sometimes restarting my computer solves everything.  :smileyhappy:

• 11. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 doesn't start anymore
                              knops

Hi Braxton,

Filemaker is the only program that causes me trouble. Because of your post I looked into the system-recovery (that's what we Windows-people have) but I only get March 2010 and two dates: today and yesterday. So it seems I can't restore my system to an earlier date/point. This is killing me :smileysad:.

I think I have rebooted the whole thing 15 times today, so......:smileywink:

• 12. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 doesn't start anymore
                                braxton

Did you uninstall after disabling the antivirus programs?

• 13. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 doesn't start anymore
                                  knops

At this point I'm not sure but I think I did. But I can try again. Would it make any difference ?

• 14. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 doesn't start anymore
                                    braxton

Yea...it's going to fix everything....hopefully.

1 2 Previous Next