7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2012 3:23 PM by GeorgeWilliams

Filemaker Pro 9 field security

GeorgeWilliams

Title

Filemaker Pro 9 field security

I have some fields that when clicked on by a user shows a dialog that reads "This action cannot be performed because this field is not modifiable". A  user with full access rights can edit the field.

I have another field with a radio button, that I would like to behave like the fields above.

I've looked at field properties in Manage databases, as well as the field properties in layout mode, but I'm unable to figure out what causes the dialog for the field above. I also couldn't find any scripts that affect the fields.

Could somebody point me in the right direction?

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 field security
          philmodjunk

I have some fields that when clicked on by a user shows a dialog that reads "This action cannot be performed because this field is not modifiable". A  user with full access rights can edit the field.

Hmmm, I'd expect to see the message: "Your access privileges do not permit this" or words to that effect. Are you sure that you are correctly quoting the error message?

Given that error message, I think you have two layouts. On one layout the field is a calculation field and hence not modifiable. On the other layout a data field containing the same information is used and hence it is editable. This suggests a script that selects different layouts for different users.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 field security
            GeorgeWilliams

Thanks for the response.

This is the only layout I could find for these fields. The is a script on the button that shows this page, but it only checks to make sure a required field is filled in on the previous page.

The only place I found to make a field a calculation field is in the manage database screen, and there is nothing selected for these fields.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 field security
              philmodjunk

I still think that you have two different fields, one that's a calcualtion field and one that is a data field. Both are likely defined in the same table. You'd get a different error message if other means were used to control access to the field.

This is the only layout I could find

How did you look for the layout? Did you enter layout mode and pull down the layouts drop down? (There are ways to hide layouts when you are in browse mode--even if you are a [full access] user.

Another possibility is that you have one layout, but with a tab control where one tab panel displays the data field and one that displays the calculation field. The tab control can be made invisible and a script can use go to Object to select the desired tab panel in the tab control.

This option seems like one more likely to be used with more recent versions of FileMaker than version 9, but I can't rule it out as a possibility here.

Do you have a copy of FileMaker Advanced? If so, I'd launch FileMaker, then enable the script debugger and data viewer before using Open from the File menu to open the file and navigate to this layout. That way you can see each script that might be part of this process execute step by step.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 field security
                GeorgeWilliams

I used the layout pull down, in layout mode to look at the layouts. I also checked the scripts on the buttons that navigate to the layout in question, none pulled up a different layout.

I couldn't find any other fields that were named similar to the ones in question.

I don't know how to check for tabs in the layout, I'm a beginner to Filemaker, that has a large existing application to figure out.

Is it possible that this code is brought in from a much older version of Filemaker, so I'm not able to look at some things?

Thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 field security
                  GeorgeWilliams

Also the users that can't edit the fields, are able to see what has been entered by users with full access.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 field security
                    philmodjunk

I've worked with FileMaker Pro since it was FileMaker 2.5. I know of no "legacy" fetaures that would explain what you are seeing. The fields may not have similar names.

Also the users that can't edit the fields, are able to see what has been entered by users with full access.

I would expect that for what I am describing. FileMaker cannot change a field from calculation to data via a script, nor can it remove one field and replace with another field in a script. It can change layouts and it can manipulate a tab control to make one field appear and the other disappear.

Here's what I think the db is doing with the two fields. I think it has one field of a standard data type such as number or text. Full access users are presented with that field and thus they can edit the field. Let's say that field is called "name". Then there is a second field, which could have any name, that is defined to be of type calculation. It's calculation is a single term:

Name

Just the name of the data field that is editable. It will then display the contents of the field, but any layout with this calculation field will not permit editing and attempts to do so will bring up the exact error message that you have described.

Can the field be entered by pressing the tab key or must a user click on the field to enter and edit it?

What dialog do you see when you enter layout mode and double click this field?

• 7. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 field security
                      GeorgeWilliams

The dialog that comes up is the field/control setup dialog when I click the field.

I'll look thru all the calc fields in the table to see if any reference the fields in question. If I find one I'll start to go thru the layouts to try and find a duplicate of the layout I'm looking at.

Thanks, for taking the time to try and help me.