4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2012 7:05 AM by JCPython

Filemaker Pro Adavnced 12 Questions

JCPython

Title

Filemaker Pro Adavnced 12 Questions

I just got filemaker pro advanced 12 the other day and so far its great! I have a database i been working on for a few months and i now distribute as a runtime solution on my website, it currently uses Brian Dunning's Easy Encryption to provide license keys to my customers and it uses the get system NIC address function to make sure that its only being opened on a single computer and not being shared.

I was told before about the Get PersistentID function that it was to be better than using a NIC adress function to help protect a runtime from pricary. does anyone have a break down of how to setup a security schema like this?

What about converting .fp7 to .fp12? my database is very complex with over 130 Layouts and 60 Tables, has anyone had any problems with the converting process or can anyone suggest that it may be better to just rebuild the whole database on the filemaker 12 to avoid any conversion errors, I just never had much faith in automatic conversions, just looking for confirmation if the converting feature works or not?

I started a starter solution, product catalog and i see that the new container fields allow for drag and drop to show images and pdf's, i tried setting up some container fields in a new database on FM12, but i get the error saying "the translator for this file formate could not be found..." what does this mean?

I lost the Radius feature to add curves to fields...too bad it looks terrible when you have a line border on the container fields though.

I watched a video and read this article (http://filemakerstandards.org/display/bp/Key+values) about using the Get UUID function in a calculation instead of serial number for primary key fields, does anyone disagree or know of any downsides to doing this? or if theres no downside is there a upside its kinda the "if its not broke dont fix it" thing for me right now.

Sorry about all the questions but with FM12 being so new there isnt much googling i can do.

Also when using the themes i noticed there is now a color hight around the border of the fields when the field is in focus, in the onyx theme this color is blue, i would like to know how i am suppose to edit the color of this or how to remove it.

Thats all i can think of for questions right now, thanks in advanced for any help on these questions :)

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro Adavnced 12 Questions
          philmodjunk

A) Wherever and however your system uses get ( NICAddress ), substitute Get ( PersistantID ) for identifying the specific computer on which you have installed your solution.

B) It's much less work to convert your files than to recreate them. There are a few quirks with the converted files (try changing the text format of a button in a converted file and watch the button change size and position on you Undecided) But it's still less work than starting over by a wide margin.

C) Don't know why you got that error. What exactly were you doing and with what file types when you got it?

D)"Lost the radius feature"? What do you mean by that? It's a built in tool in the appearance tab on the inspector.

E) Get (UUID) has one major advantage over serial number fields. You do not have any "next serial value" kind of updates needed when you import all your data into a clone. You can simplify each update script to just import the data now. But it's new so I'd start using it cautiously. Serial Numbers have been in use since version 2 or earlier and are rock solid as far as I know. Much as I like the concept to Get (UUID) we just don't know for sure if they have all the kinks worked out of using it or not.

Finally, I suggest going to the Known Bug List Clicking on the control for the last page and then read through the bug reports, paging back one page at a time until you know longer see any FMP 12 bug reports. This will give you a good overview of the known issues with this product.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro Adavnced 12 Questions
            JCPython

Thanks for the quick reply Phil,

A) Wherever and however your system uses get ( NICAddress ), substitute Get ( PersistantID ) for identifying the specific computer on which you have installed your solution.

Simple enough! lol

B) It's much less work to convert your files than to recreate them. There are a few quirks with the converted files (try changing the text format of a button in a converted file and watch the button change size and position on you Undecided) But it's still less work than starting over by a wide margin.

Yes i noticed that and also when using a theme like onyx my text fields must be a height of atleast 18px in order to see text size 9px, which is as small as i can really go and still have it readable. the text alignment indicates that its suppose to be at the top of the field, yet it looks to be more near the buttom.

C) Don't know why you got that error. What exactly were you doing and with what file types when you got it?

i dragged a pdf file into the container and got the error, i did the exact same thing on the starter solution product catalog and it worked fine there, must be a setting for the container maybe...

D)"Lost the radius feature"? What do you mean by that? It's a built in tool in the appearance tab on the inspector.

My bad! "I LOVE the radius feature" is what i mean lol sorry.

E) Get (UUID) has one major advantage over serial number fields. You do not have any "next serial value" kind of updates needed when you import all your data into a clone. You can simplify each update script to just import the data now. But it's new so I'd start using it cautiously. Serial Numbers have been in use since version 2 or earlier and are rock solid as far as I know. Much as I like the concept to Get (UUID) we just don't know for sure if they have all the kinks worked out of using it or not.

that makes sense and i hope it does prove to be as reliable in time, if i switched to using the UUID, and things went badly it would probably be tedius yet not impossible to revert back to serials, correct?

Finally, I suggest going to the Known Bug List Clicking on the control for the last page and then read through the bug reports, paging back one page at a time until you know longer see any FMP 12 bug reports. This will give you a good overview of the known issues with this product.

Certainly will check the bug report out!

I just edit the post before i saw this and added the following

"Also when using the themes i noticed there is now a color hight around the border of the fields when the field is in focus, in the onyx theme this color is blue, i would like to know how i am suppose to edit the color of this or how to remove it." have you noticed if theres a setting to modify the highlighted border?

Thanks again Phil

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro Adavnced 12 Questions
              philmodjunk

B) and blue text at bottom:

Much of the new user interface is controlled by the theme you select and can only be changed by selecting a different theme. Some developers are experimenting with creating their own themes.

C) in both files, check their data formatting. I suspect that one is optimized for interactive content and one is not.

E) Replace field contents shold make such a change back fairly easy.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro Adavnced 12 Questions
                JCPython

B) and blue text at bottom:

Much of the new user interface is controlled by the theme you select and can only be changed by selecting a different theme. Some developers are experimenting with creating their own themes.

ok that unfortunetly makes sense, im gonna have a look at editing the .css files to see if i can get that sorted

C) in both files, check their data formatting. I suspect that one is optimized for interactive content and one is not.

That was the first thing i did, and i just double check and it is set for interactive content, i just did another test and same error.

E) Replace field contents shold make such a change back fairly easy.

that sounds good, ill give this a try then.