6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2009 12:53 PM by redonthehd

FileMaker Pro Adv 10 with 64-bit Windows 7 ?

jasongan_1

Title

FileMaker Pro Adv 10 with 64-bit Windows 7 ?

Hi TSGal, or any one:

I want to buy a new computer with 64-bit Windows 7 professional. But I don't know if FileMaker Pro Adv 10 is able to work with it. The reason I prefer the 64-bit is that I want to get more than 4GB RAM for the new computer.

Thanks for your time,

Jason Gan

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro Adv 10 with 64-bit Windows 7 ?
          Steve Wright

It does work yes, that is currently what im running on.

However, this may or may not be related to windows 7 / filemaker or my machine so dont read too much into it.

When scrolling down long scripts, on my system filemaker crashes intermittently. 

Im yet to find the actual cause but have reported to filemaker as a bug

This is the only problem I have encountered so far, ive been using it on Windows 7 beta since release and now on the retail version.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro Adv 10 with 64-bit Windows 7 ?
            jasongan_1

Thanks SW. But please check if you are having the 64-bit Windows 7. You might have Windows 7 32-bit.

Jason Gan

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro Adv 10 with 64-bit Windows 7 ?
              Steve Wright

I have

windows 7 Ultimate 64bit with 8gb ram,
              Windows 7 professional 64bit with 4GB ram
              and 2 X windows 7 home edition 32bit with 4gb ram

I Previously used Vista 64bit with 8gb ram and had no issues there either.

P.S Filemaker will not run in 64bit mode, its a 32bit application, but as with most applications in windows 64bit they run in WOW32 mode
              Windows on Windows 32bit, in task manager this is distinguished by a *32 at the end of the program.

I have heard however that Filemaker Server is not compatible, so if this is a requirement you may want to look into it.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro Adv 10 with 64-bit Windows 7 ?
                jasongan_1

Thanks SW for your prompt reply.

One more thing, Do you have FMP Adv 10 running in your 64-bit desktop, and you have a 32-bit Windows server running with your FMP 10 Server ?

These would be my system environment in the future.

Jason Gan

• 5. Re: FileMaker Pro Adv 10 with 64-bit Windows 7 ?
                  Steve Wright

Unfortunatly I do not use FMP server, as I have no need for it at the moment.

The other machines (aside from day to day use) are used to test prior to deployment of updates to our solution in both runtime environments and peer to peer networking

We dont actually use filemaker in-house for our business requirements, its simply used as a developer tool.

I have tested with server previously using windows xp 32 bit and running clients on vista 64bit without issues, if that helps..

• 6. Re: FileMaker Pro Adv 10 with 64-bit Windows 7 ?
                    redonthehd
                       I could not get  version 10 to work with my graphics unless I ran it  in the  256 color mode, but that was unacceptable,  I found the answer!   download the   microsoft  xp mode \virtual machine for windows 7. I am using the pro  and it works, sets up a virtual machine within  windows 7 , its free and  shares all the resources. I tested  filemaker pro 5 and 7  and works great.   You can set up a shortcut so that the older  xp application will load and run.  Now I can keep my filemaker pro 7 and not purchase the version 10.