3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2010 2:58 PM by Steve Wright

FileMaker Pro Advance Runtime Maker

RedL

Title

FileMaker Pro Advance Runtime Maker

I am planning to migrate my Microsoft Access/VB systems to FileMaker Pro Advance environment for both Mac and Windows environments.  I have few questions.

Can I create run time application for Mac by Windows Filemaker Pro Advance at same time?  If we cannot do it, do you provide ODBC driver for Mac to access Windows Access database?

1. Can I create run time application, by Runtime Maker, for Mac by Windows Filemaker Pro Advance at same time?

2. How many files it will have for a run time application?  Is the data file separated from application?

3. Does the run time application can be run standalone, without any access to network or "Filemaker Pro host"?  Fyi, I have isolated Mac which does not have Filemaker Pro and might not have internet or network sometime.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro Advance Runtime Maker
          Steve Wright

LY wrote:

I am planning to migrate my Microsoft Access/VB systems to FileMaker Pro Advance environment for both Mac and Windows environments.  I have few questions.

Can I create run time application for Mac by Windows Filemaker Pro Advance at same time?  If we cannot do it, do you provide ODBC driver for Mac to access Windows Access database?

1. Can I create run time application, by Runtime Maker, for Mac by Windows Filemaker Pro Advance at same time?

2. How many files it will have for a run time application?  Is the data file separated from application?

3. Does the run time application can be run standalone, without any access to network or "Filemaker Pro host"?  Fyi, I have isolated Mac which does not have Filemaker Pro and might not have internet or network sometime.

Thanks.

1. Each platforms runtime must be created using FileMaker on that platform, so for a mac runtime, you need to build the runtime on a mac.  You  can develop the files on windows (or mac) then transfer the .fp7 files over the mac (or windows) to create the appropriate runtimes.

2. The windows version contains around 170 files such as .dll files and other resources.

2b. The solution files (.fp7) and  runtime executable are separate, but its your decision if you wish to build the solution with the data separate from the user interface, i.e data.fp7 and interface.fp7.  You may want to research this a little more.

3. Yes.. bear in mind the runtime version does not network / share data, there are no data sharing capabilities whatsoever in the runtimes.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro Advance Runtime Maker
            RedL

Thank you so much for your swift reply.  Let me clarify more detail.

1. Understand that solution file(.fp7) is transferable between Mac and Windows, as long as I do not use Mac only or Window only script.

2a. I will build solution and interface together as a .fp7 file.  And my runtime user is Mac.

2b. Please correct me, if I am wrong.  The runtime is an limited function FileMaker Pro.  You need to install it on client computer. The bound .fp7 is a file on the runtime.  It is lIke .fp7 for File Maker Pro.  The runtime can open the specific .fp7 file only, by using Bindkey.

3. I see.  Runtime version is standalone.  It does not support sharing.  I need to update the database (or solution file) every week.   Can I distribute .fp7 file only to stand alone users who have installed runtime and ask them to replace the old .fp7?  Fyi, it is a single file now when I test File Maker Pro.  Do I need to rebuild and use same Bindkey?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro Advance Runtime Maker
              Steve Wright

LY wrote:

Thank you so much for your swift reply.  Let me clarify more detail.

1. Understand that solution file(.fp7) is transferable between Mac and Windows, as long as I do not use Mac only or Window only script.

2a. I will build solution and interface together as a .fp7 file.  And my runtime user is Mac.

2b. Please correct me, if I am wrong.  The runtime is an limited function FileMaker Pro.  You need to install it on client computer. The bound .fp7 is a file on the runtime.  It is lIke .fp7 for File Maker Pro.  The runtime can open the specific .fp7 file only, by using Bindkey.

3. I see.  Runtime version is standalone.  It does not support sharing.  I need to update the database (or solution file) every week.   Can I distribute .fp7 file only to stand alone users who have installed runtime and ask them to replace the old .fp7?  Fyi, it is a single file now when I test File Maker Pro.  Do I need to rebuild and use same Bindkey?

Thanks.

First off, just so we are clear, the .fp7 file extension is the original extension for FileMaker Pro

When you bind the solution into a runtime, you are usually presented with a standard .usr extension, but can choose your own, so although I will refer to it as .fp7 it could actually be anything (ours is .sws for example)

1. FP7 files is transferable between Mac and Windows yes, if you do use windows / mac only scripts (which you can) you would usually have to create / edit these on the appropriate platform.  So for instance, you could create a script

If [ get(SystemPlatform) = "-2"]

Do windows Stuff  (edit steps on windows)

[else]

Do mac stuff  (edit steps on mac)

[end if]

2a. For the purpose of transferring between systems, there will only be your .fp7 file required, there are a number of runtime files on both platforms, however you do not always need to distribute these files with each update.  Of course, if FM release a version update then you would have to.

2b. The runtime is limited functionality yes, think of it 'kind of like'

Adobe Acrobat - for creating PDF's  LIKE  FileMaker Pro

Adobe Reader LIKE Runtime
              PDF File LIKE FP7 file.

The runtime does not actually have to be installed, it can be copied into place, but it must exist...

Once you have bound the files using a specific bind key, if you only plan to distribute updated .fp7 files, then you do need to use the same bind key each time.

Using different bind keys allows you to run multiple / different runtime solutions on the same machine, the runtime executables / app files will only open .fp7 files matching the bind key.

3. You would need to work on an export / import routine before having them replace the fp7 files, since their file would contain their data, yours would most likely be a blank clone.  If you look into the data separation model, you could distribute interface updates this way, but any changes to the data structure such as new fields / relationships etc would require an import / export routine.

I hope I have got all that correct :-)