7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2009 9:22 AM by philmodjunk

Filemaker pro and intranet

faz222

Title

Filemaker pro and intranet

I need to allow 5 people to connect to a shared database through the LAN using either their Internet browser or a runtime app.

The database will be for schedule, projects, timecard, etc ...

Is that possible and which version of Filemaker pro do I need ?

Also, how hard is this to create ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Filemaker pro and intranet
          philmodjunk

faz222 wrote:

I need to allow 5 people to connect to a shared database through the LAN using either their Internet browser or a runtime app.

The database will be for schedule, projects, timecard, etc ...

Is that possible and which version of Filemaker pro do I need ?

Also, how hard is this to create ?

Thanks

The simplest approach is to purchase FMP 10 for each computer and use one computer to host the files for the other users to access. If you can get the database to do what you want on a single computer, it will behave much the same when hosted by one copy of FMP for others to access over the LAN. There are a few differences, specifically, global fields work differently for shared databases and you will want to research that but these issues are pretty simple to deal with. If the number of users grow, you'll reach a limit on how many users can access your hosted files at the same time. At that point you would scale up by installing your database on Filemaker Pro server. There is a significant cost in hardware and software incurred when you make this step, but you shouldn't have to redesign your files like you would when scaling up other desk top databases.

Alternatively, you can use instant web publishing to make your hosted database available to users via their browsers. While this avoids needing to purchase additional copies of Filemaker, it is a generally more complicated approach. At least that's my impression. I haven't worked much with web published databases so will defer to the opinion of other forum posters if they choose to add their comments to this thread.

• 2. Re: Filemaker pro and intranet
            faz222

Thanks ,

The web version sounds like what I had in mind, I'll check it out with the demo.

Buying 5x FMP sounds a bit much atm :-P

The ideal for me would be to get 1x filemaker pro and publish it either on the Intranet or compile a runtime app if thats possible.

Do you have any experience with Runtime apps ?

• 3. Re: Filemaker pro and intranet
              philmodjunk

The ideal for me would be to get 1x filemaker pro and publish it either on the Intranet or compile a runtime app if thats possible.

Do you have any experience with Runtime apps ?

You can use FMP 10 adv to create a run time app, but it cannot be shared. It's intended so developers can distribrute stand alone solutions or crippleware demos of their products.

• 4. Re: Filemaker pro and intranet
                Skeyelab
                   what about storing a runtime app in a shared folder - what happens then?
                • 5. Re: Filemaker pro and intranet
                  philmodjunk

Never, ever set up FMP files, run time or otherwise in shared folders for user access. It's a good way to corrupt the files.

If you can get that to work, I suspect it would allow one user at a time to open the files.

• 6. Re: Filemaker pro and intranet
                    faz222

If I understand correctly, runtime apps just have the database included within them ? :-S

ok so my only option would be the web version then.

Thanks for your help PhilModJunk ;-)

• 7. Re: Filemaker pro and intranet
                      philmodjunk
                         Run Time apps are specifically crippled in two ways: You can't use one to develop a new database and you can't directly share files out to multiple, simultaneous users. I haven't looked into using Instant Web Publishing with a Run Time app but would be suprised if it worked.