6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2010 10:03 AM by AndyT

FileMaker Pro for MacGroomer Program

AndyT

Title

FileMaker Pro for MacGroomer Program

I am using MacGroomer which is a pet grooming program for my business that runs on FileMaker from what we have figured out. I saved/exported my client data on to an external hard drive and now I am trying to import the records back on to MacGroomer and it won't upload the data. It keeps giving me the following errors.

1st it says: "Cust list" contained only enough data to update the first 2501 records. Cust list is the name I saved the data under and I have well over 2501 customers saved.

2nd: Some data field values could not be recognized as valid dates. You can find these by searching for "?." I don't understand what that means.

This one is when you try entering new data into the program...

3rd: "Gr business Acct." is defined to recognize a value, but does not appear on this layout. Use another layout to type a value.

I am guessing its from the way I saved the filed because it asked me to save it as a "comma-seperated text" and I accepted.

If some one can decode all this and let me know what they all mean I'de greatly appreciate it. Also, if some one is familiar with MacGroomer or how the program or programs like this work and can let me know what to do it would be great. Its for my business so I need this ASAP!! I would like to also inform you that MacGroomer is a discontinued program so I don't know how you would find more info on it.

Thanks guys!

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro for MacGroomer Program
          philmodjunk

Why are you attempting to import the data back into the database? Exporting the data does not delete the data from your database file, so your data may already be present in your database.

1st it says: "Cust list" contained only enough data to update the first 2501 records.

Update indicates you are importing with the update matching records options. I don't understand why you would do this from a csv backup file. I could see saving a clone of your file and then importing with the add new records options. I believe you had 2501 records in your found set--which could be a small fraction of the total number of records in your table and that's what the error message is telling you.

Some data field values could not be recognized as valid dates.

Assuming this popped up immediately after your import, it means that some data was imported into a date field that FileMaker couldn't recognize as a date. You may have imported data from the wrong column of your csv file into this date field. If you enter find mode and type a ? into this date field, you can then find all records where an invalid date was imported.

"Gr business Acct." is defined to recognize a value, but does not appear on this layout. Use another layout to type a value.
          You have a validation rule set on this field, but the field is not present on the current layout so you can't use this layout to fix the problem. "gr business Acct" may auto enter a value that it cannot correctly look up due to errors introduced when you tried to import from your csv file.

If I were you, I'd back up the database by making copies of the entire file. There are good reasons for exporting the data as a text file as an additional backup, but importing the data back into an empty copy (clone) of your file requires either a script to do it for you or a pretty decent knowledge of both FileMaker and the structure of your database.

You may want to read up on Import Records in FileMaker help and you may want to contact the MacGroomer developer for techincal assistance.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro for MacGroomer Program
            AndyT

Well I never used a Mac before and I have always disliked the way they are. I am a PC guy and don't know how to use these darn computers. All I was told from a couple of people was to select "Export Files/Records" to make a copy as a back up. I would save it on an external hard drive. Then my MacGroomer program had a major malfunction and I had to reinstall it on the Mac. After doing so I tried importing records and it wouldnt allow me.

Also, I just tried inputting a ? in the "find" field and it wouldnt bring up any records. It says its an invalid entry. I am lost and confused of what to do now. Years of customer data are on the brink of being lost forever.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro for MacGroomer Program
              philmodjunk

I'm a PC user also. FileMaker works on both systems and we'd be dealing with the same issues on either platform. Wink

With MacGroomer open, select Manage | Database | Tables. How many tables are there in your file? When you exported data, did you export from all of them or just one table?

If you have multiple tables and only exported data from one table, you may not have backed up all the data that you needed to back up. Cry

When you exported your data, did you first select "Show all records" from the records menu? If you didn't, your back up file will only contain part of the data from your original file.

If, after those checks, you are fairly confident that you did back up all your data, open FileMaker, select help and look up Import Records. This is a tool with a lot of options--so it helps to read up on all of them first. Then we can take a fresh try at importing your data and getting it into the correct spots.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro for MacGroomer Program
                AndyT

I have the file open and it doesnt give me an option of Manage. I just tried deleting all the blank files it had and it gave me an error saying "this file is badly damaged. bla bla bla use recovery command or click resume to continue" and stuff like that.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Pro for MacGroomer Program
                  philmodjunk

Can you tell if this is a run time solution?

What do you see in the help menu?

Can you tell what version of FileMaker you are using?

How did you "reinstall" this system? It sounds like you need to delete this coy and reinstall it.

If this is a run time system, your only hope may be to locate the developer and get their assistance with your file.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Pro for MacGroomer Program
                    AndyT

No i cant.  A bunch of mumbo jumbo on how to use the program. Its FileMakr Pro...I put the cd in and installed it...What im going to do is just get a new program for a PC and start over. I have most of my clients clipcards filled out and saved in storage so ill just have to manually input them 1 by 1 again. Going to take a while but its better then nothing. Thanks so much for your help man!