1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 26, 2012 11:36 AM by philmodjunk

FileMaker Pro from Bento

EfronHirsch

Title

FileMaker Pro from Bento

I've decided I need to make the jump to FileMaker Pro for the first time.

I have a few questions. I'm coming from a Bento Background. I feel I've mastered it and can take it no further. Especially, since I am planning to hire people for a business. I basically have a perfectly set up Database in Bento, as perfect as it's going to get for me, but I have hit limits that I feel only FileMaker can solve.

I have a few questions:

1. How easy is it to get my libraries, collections, and forms from Bento set up in FileMaker exactly as I have them set up in Bento?

2. If I download FileMaker onto my Mac, and later I buy a new Mac, is it easy to switch the software to a different computer?

3. Filemaker Go syncs with Filemaker Pro the same way that Bento for Mac syncs with Bento for iPhone, is that right? And this can be done over WiFi?

I look forward to you reply.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro from Bento
          philmodjunk

1) it's not. You can import data from Bento into FileMaker, but you can't just import the rest of your design into FileMaker.

2) You just re-install the application on your new computer and then copy over your database file.

3) No. There is no build in "Sync" capability. Out of the box, you can only copy files back and forth between the two devices. You'd either create your own, or acquire a third party tool such as those supplied by SeedCode and 360Works to do the synch. The other alternative is to keep your data on your computer and connect to it via wiFi or 4G so that your iOS device functions as a client of the database hosted by your computer. This requires keeping the databse open on your computer in FileMaker Pro or Server, setting up the needed connections settings (4G access is more complicated than WiFi) and then having a reliable connection to the hosted database.