FileMaker Pro general questions (sad Bento owner)
I know of the sad, sad news that Bento is no longer being developed and I'm crushed. I spent so much time this past year creating my Bento databases, and do not want to loose that work with the eventual OS / computer upgrade, so I'm looking into FileMaker pro, but have some questions.
1. I imported my Bento database via your migration software, but it seems that filemaker pro in general does not look as refined as my bento library did. I've uploaded two pictures for comparison here: http://www.fieldsfaraway.com/jon/01BentoDB.png vs http://www.fieldsfaraway.com/jon/02FileMakerProDB.png As you can see, Bento simply looks better; nicer fonts, better graphics on pulldowns, etc. Its like Bento looks like a mac program, while FileMaker Pro looks like a PC program. Is there anyway I can match Bento's look in FileMaker Pro?
2. Bento offers a GREAT split view, in which I can see the whole database in line/column view on top, and the highlighted line is displayed underneath. I use this everyday and is extremely important to my workflow. Can this be done in FileMaker Pro? If so, how? Here is an example of how Bento's split view works: http://www.fieldsfaraway.com/jon/03BentoSplitView.png
3. Does FileMaker Pro have calendar functions? For example, I have a medical condition I track, and want to keep track of my "bad days." If I were to create a "bad day" checkbox for example and check it every time I have an attack, would I be able to view this on a calendar so I can see how many days a month I had an attack, etc? What would also be cool is to integrate this with a food / activity log so when I do have a "bad day" I can quickly see what I ate or what I did and look for patterns. This is something I was not able to do successfully in Bento and might make it worth the upgrade if I can do it in FileMaker Pro
4. I was also using Bento for my small retail business to keep track of inventory, customers who want a backordered product etc. Is it possible in FileMaker Pro to have an "if this, then this" type action? For example, if I was out of stock on Apples (inventory value 0), and a customer wanted to be notified when I get more apples in stock, could I tell filemaker if I show an inventory value greater than 0, search my customer list for backorders? Again Bento was not able to go this deep, but I hope FileMaker can.
5. Is it possible in FileMaker Pro to create internal links to other enteries in the database? For example, I have a product entery for Apples which keeps track of my inventory, location, cost, etc. if I were to type "apples" as text under a customers "backorder" list, can I make the word "apple" a link to the actual apple inventory page, which would allow me to quickly jump around my large database? My example isn't the best, but the idea of internal links inside a database is important to me, and again something that Bento cannot do. The closest I got with bento is creating "smart lists." Speaking of which....
6. Does FileMaker Pro do "smart lists" ala Bento? If you dont know what these are, think iTunes smart playlists where you can view only specific items based on specific criteria.
Sorry for all the questions, but even with the 40% off deal, FileMaker Pro is a large investment for me and I want to make sure its the right choice for my needs. Thank you for your help in answering my questions!!