2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2010 9:18 AM by DaveHamer

Filemaker Pro hanging during file constistency check

DaveHamer

Title

Filemaker Pro hanging during file constistency check

Hello,

We currently support a client that is using Filemaker Pro 9 with Network Sharing to host a database that their 5 other Apple Macs connect to. The database is being hosted on a Windows Small Business Server 2003 SP2. The Apple Macs are of varying versions - 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6.

Overnight this database is backed up by closing Filemaker [using taskkill.exe http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/taskkill.mspx?mfr=true] and using a "on close" script within Filemaker to create a copy of each of these databases. The server then reboots in order to relaunch Filemaker [We get an activation error when trying to launch via Terminal Services] and close any handles to these files (This backup solution was put in place by another company, therefore we are trying to find out what is going wrong.)

Upon reboot the server automatically logs in to the console session and relaunches filemaker, and opens the previous databases for sharing (4 databases total, 3 at 15MB each, 1 at 650MB). During this relaunch, on most days, filemaker will 'hang' - it is completely unresponsive and the process needs to be killed. The bar that is visible in the background is the "File Consistency Check". Relaunching Filemaker (via VNC - RDP gives me an activation error) causes the file to be checked for consistency again, however this time it opens correctly and doesn't hang.

Has anyone experienced this before/has a better solution for performing a backup?

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro hanging during file constistency check
          MartinBrändle

As I understand taskkill, it kills all processes (same as Unix kill), but does not quit the application gracefully. So the on close script does not run, does it?

If true, no wonder the databases are not closed and hence corrupt, and consistency check runs therefore. 

What happens here with this solution is a nightmare for data integrity, something that should never be done to a FM database.

The best solution would be to host the databases in FileMaker Server, which allows live backups and to run the server permanently. Tell them their data (and the time needed to fix corrupt data) is much more valuable than the money they have to invest for FMS.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro hanging during file constistency check
            DaveHamer

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for the reply - I've already said to the company that they should really be using Filemaker Server - their argument is that their current solution works, and has done for the past x years, therefore they don't believe they should have to pay more!

I've just run a quick test on a Virtual Machine in my office and it appears to work correctly (as intended) -

taskkill /im  "FileMaker Pro.exe"

SUCCESS: Sent termination signal to the process "FileMaker Pro.exe" with PID 2099.

Filemaker then gracefully shuts down and creates a copy of the file.

Therefore the question is - why is it checking for consistency, and why is it freezing during this check!

Many thanks again,

Dave