3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2010 1:10 PM by AdamCoy

Filemaker Pro is running very slow on brand new computer

AdamCoy

Title

Filemaker Pro is running very slow on brand new computer

I am hoping someone can help us.

My supervisor just bought a brand new custom built computer and wants to be able to use that computer has his main office machine. In our office we run Filemaker Pro 5. It is run off of our server (server 2003) and all of the computers here (roughly 20) can access filemaker with no problems. His computers specs far exceed that of any other computer in the office except for maybe one. For some reason when we try to access filemaker from this machine it runs extremely slow (not usable) even though it’s hooked up and connecting the same way. We have been working on it on and off for about 3 weeks now and haven’t really made any progress. One thing we tried was putting filemaker on a local machine rather than the server and his computer was able to pull from there just fine, however keeping filemaker there is not an option for us. Here are his computer specs :

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

AMD  Phenom II X2 555 Processor  3.20 GHz

4GB of RAM

He is using a ASRock Motherboard : model   M3A770DE

If any more information is needed I am sure I can get that.

If anyone has any idea of what could be causing this to happen or how to fix this, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Adam

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro is running very slow on brand new computer

Adam Coy:

Thank you for posting.

This is likely a compatibility issue with the operating system. Have you tried or are you currently using XP Mode?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Have you tried doing a selective startup with just the necessary Windows services and applications?

You could also try sharing the database from another machine to see if there is a connectivity issue with the server.

TSuki
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro is running very slow on brand new computer
            AdamCoy

Thank you for your response.

Yes we have tried XP mode and unfortunately it still is running very slow. We have also tried running it off of another machine and that worked great, very fast, but obviously we cannot leave it at that. Since we were able to run it from that computer, that leads me to believe it's not necessarily an issue with windows 7 64-bit. I don't believe it is a server issue because all of our other machines are running fine from it, including at least 2 machines running vista pro 64-bit. Also, our server is running Server 2003; I did not mention that in the OP.

We have not tried doing a selective startup on the machine yet. That is something we will definitely try and leave a response as to what happens.

Thank you again,

All help is appreciated,

Adam

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro is running very slow on brand new computer
              AdamCoy

We got it working, here is what we did.

1) Disable Autotuning through the cmd prompt.

2) Removed RDC ( Remote Differential Compression)
              in the control panel

3) Removed IPv6 from network properties.

and

4) Cleared the DNS Cache

Everything seems to be working beautifully :)

Thanks all!

Adam

<!--POLLS--><!--FILES--><!--SIGNATURE-->