1 2 3 Previous Next 34 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2013 7:51 PM by ChrisSmythe

FileMaker Pro IWP - Adding a New Record

ChrisSmythe

Title

FileMaker Pro IWP - Adding a New Record

Hello, I am running FileMaker Pro v12 on Windows XP and am hoping that someone would kindly assist me with the following (please see my database at the following link):

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D0681807_60165357_43819  (Account Name: Admin   Password: click on OK as there is no password).

When I use the database on my PC (i.e. not use it via FileMaker Pro IWP), I can do the following:

I can add a New Record when I go to the Operation & Exercise Name layout to the ListOfOperations table.

However, when I try to do the same via FileMaker Pro IWP, I am unable to add a New Record.

When I go to the Operation & Exercise Name layout and click on the New Record button, I then find that I am unable to type into the OperationName field for some strange reason?

I do not undertstand why I can not add a new record successfully whilst not using FileMaker Pro IWP?

Any assistanve in this problem would be greatly appreciated,

Kind regards,

Chris smiley

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro IWP - Adding a New Record
          davidanders

http://dwaynewright.squarespace.com/filemaker-thoughts/2011/5/12/a-reader-asks-filemaker-based-wiki-site.html

When IWP users add a new record or edit data in an existing record, they must click a submit button in order for their changes to be saved. This submit button will normally reside in the status area but a developer can add their own button in the FileMaker layout to Commit (Submit) the record.

IWP has a fairly significant number of limitations. Here are just a few of them. IWP users cannot add data into container fields. IWP users cannot spell check data. IWP users cannot use keyboard shortcuts. Some layout objects such as rounded rectangles do not look good in IWP. Always test your IWP views as you design them. You can both edit a database in FileMaker and view it in IWP from the same machine. Leave lots of extra space for fields using radio buttons or checkbox value lists. The same is true for container fields that might be used to play QuickTime movies.  Conditional formatting does not work with IWP (as of FileMaker 9).

FileMaker Instant Web Publishing, Part I: Is IWP Right For You?

FileMaker Instant Web Publishing, Part II: Five Top Tips for Success

Top 10 Instant Web Publishing No-No’s

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro IWP - Adding a New Record
            ChrisSmythe

Hello DavidAnders, thank you for your reply - greatly appreciated.

Please be advised that I still do not understand why I am unable to do the following when using FileMaker Pro IWP?:

1. Go to the Operation & Exercise Name layout;

2. Click on the New Record button to add a new record; and

3. Type in to the OperationName field before clicking on the Submit button.

I am unable to type in to the OperationName field.

Is this a limitation of FileMaker Pro IWP? or is it something that I have done incorrectly in making my database?

Kind regards,

Chris smiley

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro IWP - Adding a New Record
              ChrisSmythe

Hello,

I have read the above-mentioned web-links about the limitations of FileMaker Pro IWP, but are unable to relate these limitations to my problem described above in my original post.

The only limitation I could think about was in the area of Value Lists.  However, I do use other Value Lists successfully on my other FileMaker Pro IWP layouts.

However, maybe in the above-mentioned problem, the Value List is Dynamic?  --- I am not sure?

The other Value Lists in my other Value Lists used in the other layouts are Static?

Any thoughts please?

Kind regards,

Chris smiley

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro IWP - Adding a New Record
                philmodjunk

Is the OperationName field defined in the same table as that specified for your layout or is it defined in a different, related table with "allow creation..." enabled?

• 5. Re: FileMaker Pro IWP - Adding a New Record
                  ChrisSmythe

Hello PhilModJunk, thank you for your reply - much appreciated.

The OperationName field is defined in the same table as specified in my layout.

It gets its values from:

OperationExerciseNames Value List.

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,

Chris smiley

• 6. Re: FileMaker Pro IWP - Adding a New Record
                    ChrisSmythe

Hello PhilModJunk,

The ListOfOperations::OperationName field was created because there is expected to be a rather large number of Operation and Exercise names to be added to the ListOfOperations table.

I wanted the user to use a drop-down box to choose the required Operation / Exercise name from the Operation & Exercise Name layout.

So, I created a Value List: OperationExerciseNames so that the user can use a drop-down box to choose the Operation / Exercise name.

Unlike some of the other Value Lists which I have created in my database that have only a few values, the OperationExerciseNames value list is linked to the ListOfOperations::OperationNames field.

I also wanted the user to add and delete Operation and/or Exercise names as required.

I hope this is clearer - if not please let me know.

Kind regards,

Chris smiley

• 7. Re: FileMaker Pro IWP - Adding a New Record
                      philmodjunk

That last bit explains the issue, I think. The value list, presumably doesn't populate with a list of operations until you commit the new record. You may want to add a button to your layout for creating new records that creates the new record and then immediately uses commit records to submit it back to the host computer so that your value list now successfully lists values.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Pro IWP - Adding a New Record
                        ChrisSmythe

Hello PhilModJunk, thank you for your reply - greatly appreciated.  I am still unable to type in to the ListOfOperations::OperationNames field in the Operation & Exercise Name layout.

I have attached a screen-shot of the script to add and commit a new record - hopefully it is OK?

The main problem as I see it, is that I am unable to type in to the ListOfOperations::OperationNames field for some strange reason?

Is there anything else that I can do please?

Kind regards,

Chris smiley

• 9. Re: FileMaker Pro IWP - Adding a New Record
                          philmodjunk

What happens if you leave out Set Error Capture? do you get an error? (I don't think that you will.)

If OPerationNames is an Edit Box, can you then enter data into the field?

• 10. Re: FileMaker Pro IWP - Adding a New Record
                            ChrisSmythe

Hello PhilModJunk, thank you for your suggestion - much appreciated.

I removed the Set Error Capture as you suggested and it made no difference.

I do not actually receive any error messages.

The ListOfOperations::OperationNames field is a drop-down list (not an Edit Box).

I used a drop down list so that I can use the Value List: OperationExerciseNames.

Is there any reason that I am unable to type in to the ListOfOperations::OperationNames field?

Kind regards,

Chris smiley

• 11. Re: FileMaker Pro IWP - Adding a New Record
                              philmodjunk

I understand that it is a drop down list. I am suggesting that you try it as an edit box to determine if the drop down list formatting is what is keeping you from typing data into the field or if the problem lies elsewhere.

• 12. Re: FileMaker Pro IWP - Adding a New Record
                                ChrisSmythe

Hello PhilModJunk, thank you for your suggestion - much appreciated.

I changed the ListOfOperations::OperationName field from a drop-down box to an edit box as suggested.

When I ran the script to add a new record, it did not commit the record to the database.  Maybe the script is incorrectly written?

The edit box enabled me to type into the OperationName field.

I then tried to add a new record using the New Record button and then typed in the name of the new Operation and then clicked on the Submit Record button.  Afterwhich, I received the following error message.

Do you believe that formatting is preventing me to type in to the OperationName field when it is a drop-down box?

Or, is my script incorrect or both?

Kind regards,

Chris smiley

• 13. Re: FileMaker Pro IWP - Adding a New Record
                                  ChrisSmythe

Hello PhilModJunk,

I noticed that when I attemp to add a new record in "Desktop Mode" (i.e. not in IWP), I always receive the following FileMaker message.

Upon receiving this message, I click on the Yes button to commit the new record to the database.

I do not get this message when I try to add a new record in "IWP mode".

I do not know if this helps you or not?

Cheers,

Chris smiley

• 14. Re: FileMaker Pro IWP - Adding a New Record
                                    philmodjunk

OperationName has been given a "not empty" validation. When you create a new record and immediately commit it, the empty OperationName field is triggering this validation error message.

1 2 3 Previous Next