5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2014 2:56 AM by mpfeiffer

Filemaker Pro Snapshot Link, adding XML Extension

jasondeike

Title

Filemaker Pro Snapshot Link, adding XML Extension

I have run into two instances where an XML extension has been added to a Filemaker Snapshot Link by default.

The first time was while using Thunderbird 3.1 or above, when you try to open the link by double clicking on the attachment, it automatically appends an XML extension to the Snapshot Link.  There is no way around this, that I could find.  Besides saving the attachment to your desktop, and opening it from there.  This does not happen in older versions of Thunderbird.  You can double click the attachment and it will open up in Filemaker without any issues.

The second time was when I was in my webmail, I clicked on the attachment, and it again downloaded with an XML extension and I could not open it with Filemaker.  This instance happens with both Mac OS, and Windows OS.

How do you get around these OS's or programs thinking that the Filemaker Snapshot Link attachment is an XML document?  

Thanks for the help.

Jason Deike

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro Snapshot Link, adding XML Extension
          VinceDolan

Folks

I have this same issue, anyone have a solution?

Vince

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro Snapshot Link, adding XML Extension
            VinceDolan

Folks

Anone have a clue, what might be going on here?

Vince

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro Snapshot Link, adding XML Extension
              TSGal

jmdeike and vinced:

Thank you for your posts.

It appears that Thunderbird is adding the extension.  You may want to look in Thunderbird Preferences and see if there is an option to add extensions to certain file types.  Check with Thunderbird support for more information.  In the mean time, download the file to your Desktop before launching it.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro Snapshot Link, adding XML Extension
                VilleSalmi

Hi

I found a solution for this, you will have to edit mimeTypes.rdf file from Thunderbird profiles folder and find the line where are link to your Filemaker executable. Mine looked like this:

<RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:externalApplication:text/xml"
                                   NC:path="C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced\FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe"
                                   NC:prettyName="FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe" />

Then add two lines  NC:value="application/fpsl" and NC:fileExtensions="fpsl" so it looks like below.

<RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:externalApplication:text/xml"
                                   NC:value="application/fpsl"
                                   NC:fileExtensions="fpsl"
                                   NC:path="C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced\FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe"
                                   NC:prettyName="FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe" />

Now save the file and restart your thunderbird and Snapshot Links should work.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro Snapshot Link, adding XML Extension
                  mpfeiffer

Hi there,

thx to Ville Salmi for his great hint.

I improved it a little bit, because not everybody has FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced but FileMaker Pro 11 or 64bit but 32bit Windows..

So only replace the last line in your mimeTypes.rdf file from Thunderbird as follows:

</RDF:RDF>

...replace with...

<RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:application/fpsl"
                                          NC:value="application/fpsl"
                                          NC:editable="true"
                                          NC:fileExtensions="fpsl"
                                          NC:description="FileMaker Pro Snapshot Link">
                           <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:handler:application/fpsl"/>
                         </RDF:Description>
                         <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:handler:application/fpsl"
                                          NC:alwaysAsk="false"
                                          NC:useSystemDefault="true">
                           <NC:externalApplication RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:externalApplication:application/fpsl"/>
                         </RDF:Description>
                       </RDF:RDF>

Please note also, that only the sender of the mail with the .fpsl file has to patch his mimeTypes.rdf, before writing the mail! The recipient does not need that patch to open the .fpsl file correctly.

Kind regards