5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2014 11:57 PM by philmodjunk

Filemaker Pro Solution trapped in a loop!

AmilValladarez

Title

Filemaker Pro Solution trapped in a loop!

Hello everyone,

I was working on a script for a invoicing database. Sadly, the whole file got trapped into a loop. I read several articles in hopes of finding a solution. I tried a few suggested fixes, but nothing worked. The last thing I heard was that FileMaker Pro Advanced has a debugger and this might help stop the crazy never-ending loop, however, I don't have this feature. I'm using Filemaker Pro. If anyone here has suggestions on how to fix this without using FileMaker Pro Advanced, please let me know. Thanks.

-Amil

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro Solution trapped in a loop!
          philmodjunk

You'll need to explain your situation in much more detail.

The first thing to try is to abort the script from the keyboard. Command Period (Mac) or Esc (windows) should halt such a looping script unless user aborts have been disabled for your script.

If that doesn't work, you can always force quit FileMaker to stop the file from looping. Or does your script start up and get trapped in a loop when you first open this file? If so, there are ways to open the file without executing a script specified to run "OnFirstWindowOpen".

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro Solution trapped in a loop!
            AmilValladarez

@PhilModjunk: Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post... The script starts up as soon as I opened the file. I guess I wasn't thinking when I set it up this way. It basically works like this: I open the file, the script starts up, and once I click "OK" to dismiss it, it opens a window, and then it all starts again.I think I set it up the script to run "OnLayoutEnter'," which is the very first layout or home page of the file. I really appreciate you giving me suggestions to get this fixed. Thanks again.

-Amil

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro Solution trapped in a loop!
              philmodjunk

If you are on windows try holding down the Esc key while opening the file. If on a Mac, do the same, but hold down command-Period.

If that doesn't work, create a new file, in this new file create a script. In that script, add perform script and use perform script to perform some script in your original file--any script but the one that traps you in a loop. This should open the file in the background and you can then bring the file to the front and correct your script or remove the script triggers to eliminate the endless loop. A script in your original file that changes to a different layout would be a good choice or you may trip the trigger all over again when you bring the file to the front.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro Solution trapped in a loop!
                AmilValladarez

@PhilModjunk: I followed your steps on creating a new file and a new script, and also the other suggestion (Holding Command-Period when opening the file), but neither one worked. I may be doing something wrong. It's just hard to tell. The new script in the new file opens the original file, as you suggested, however, it seems that the script in the original file bypasses the steps of the new script. Once again, I really appreciate the time you've taken on this subject. Any other suggestions you may have are welcome.  

-Amil 

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro Solution trapped in a loop!
                  philmodjunk

Using a script in file1 to perform a script in file 2 has worked for many other developers. But the script to be performed can't trip the same trigger as your original "OnFirstWIndowOpen" triggered script.