5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2008 11:41 AM by PointInSpace

Filemaker Pro v6 and Sharing

riktweed

Title

Filemaker Pro v6 and Sharing

We have been sharing a Pro 6 file across our local network of Macs running Tiger and Leopard systems with the file located on a Tiger station. When we relocated the file to a Leopard station the file sharing no longer functions properly. You can only access the file successfully when it is not open by another user. If it is open you get the dialog that "you are about to become the host" and then it errors saying "... the file was not closed properly" and then it does a consistency check and says the file cannot be shared. 

Do I have to upgrade FP to be able to host a database on a Leopard station, or is something else going on?

Thanks - 

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro v6 and Sharing
          PointInSpace

I can successfully share a file using FileMaker Pro here on 10.5.6.  Or are you referring to FileMaker Server?

- John

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro v6 and Sharing
            riktweed

Hi John, I have been using FMP (version 6) with a mix of 10.4 and 10.5 machines for awhile now with the file residing on a 10.4 workstation in a public folder, but when I moved the file from a 10.4 station to a public folder on a 10.5 station the 10.4 machines can't open the file when the 10.5 machine has it open.

Everyone can still open it one at a time. I have all the sharing settings and access settings as they have always been. No FM Servers involved.

If anyone is doing what I am trying to do with FMP6, I will look for some other reason for this behavior. I am wondering if I need to upgrade to the latest FMP to get this to work. 

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro v6 and Sharing
              PointInSpace

Are you sharing the file just via normal file sharing?  Eg: not via FileMaker's built-in FileMaker Network Sharing?  If so, that's a *very* bad idea.  You never want to have two machines having the same file open at the same time, that is a recipie for absolute disaster.

As stated, I can verify that FileMaker Network Sharing (peer-to-peer) with FileMaker 6 on 10.5 works fine.

- John

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro v6 and Sharing
                riktweed

Thanks for the confirmation then, John. We are using the built in peer-to-peer sharing. 

You say it works fine on 10.5; are any of the machines accessing the file running 10.4? 

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro v6 and Sharing
                  PointInSpace
                     I just tested if the sharing could be enabled OK, can't say about machines accessing it.  I would highly recommend upgrading to FileMaker 9 though if possible, as FileMaker 6 is not supported on 10.5.