4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2013 4:09 PM by EdwardSiebert

FileMaker Pro [Open Recent] menu loses locations

EdwardSiebert

Title

FileMaker Pro [Open Recent] menu loses locations

I can't explain why this is happening, but Filemaker Pro seems always unable to find databases that I've opened using the OPEN menu option.  This usually only happens after I restart the computer.  This forces me to have to always go to the databases in the Finder.

My Config:

Mac Mini Server [2012]
           Mountain Lion Server 10.8.2
           FileMaker Pro 11
           Databases are on a firewire connected volume (and is mounted before trying to open through the OPEN RECENT menu option

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro [Open Recent] menu loses locations
          philmodjunk

This usually only happens after I restart the computer.

Apologies for asking an obvious question, but did you quit FileMaker before restarting?

I don't believe that the recent items list is updated until you quit the application. Also if you open a file from the FileMenu of a format other than Filemaker 11, such as a text or excel file, the newly created FileMaker file this creates will not appear in recent items.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro [Open Recent] menu loses locations
            EdwardSiebert

Sometimes I quit it manually, sometimes I don't.  If I have to restart, the OS will quit the applications anyway.  I am opening databases with the extension. fp7.  Can't say why they're listed as such, particularly since some of them were created from FMP 10 or 11, but such as it is.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro [Open Recent] menu loses locations
              philmodjunk

I'm not a mac user, but am speculating that restarting the computer without closing your applications is the same as a "force quit". If so, that would explain why the recently opened files are not appearing in recent items after you restart.

Note: All files from FileMaker 7, 8 , 9 , 10, and 11 use the same physical file format and have the same file extension: .fp7.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro [Open Recent] menu loses locations
                EdwardSiebert

No, that's not the case.  When you restart on a Mac, the OS wil progressively quit (not force quit) all applications that are open.  The evidence of that is, in the case of an application having something unsaved such as a Word document, the OS will halt, and ask the user if the document should be saved.  Human interaction is allowed and once that is completed, the restart will continue where the OS will continue to quit other applications that have not been quit yet at that point in the process.  

The only thing that prevents that restart process is if user interaction is required and the user takes too long; effectively there's a timeout feature for the restart where if human interaction (if needed) isn't completed per application within a certain amount of time, then the restart process is cancelled.