4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2014 8:03 AM by KenHoopes

FileMaker Record Submission Form

KenHoopes

Title

FileMaker Record Submission Form

I'm working on a project to convert all of our Access DB's into FileMaker, but I am running into issues trying to create a submission form. Any help would be appreciated.

How it works:

1.) Users open layout and all fields are blank.

2.) Users input all appropriate data and press "Submit" button.

3.) Data is submitted, all fields go blank again, and focus is granted to first field in the tab order.

Make sense? Also, if possible would not mind adding the following steps into the list above for user convenience.

2a.) If records meet the validation requirements, users are prompted that the records have been successfully submitted, and an "Ok" button is diplayed.

2aa.) Users press "OK" button.

2b.) If records do not meet the validation requirements, user are notified of the infracting field(s) and are presented with an"OK" button.

2bb.) Users ppress "OK" button and are simply brought back to the form to fix data. No data is blanked.

Also, as part of a larger requirement, I would like to display a table below form that show's the most recent entries in the affected table in descending order.

Again, any help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Record Submission Form
          philmodjunk

Option 1) Simply create a new record with the New Record menu option. A button on your layout can also do this. The changes can be saved automatically, there's no actual need to submit the record. But you can disable auto-save in the layout's layout setup dialog if you want to add a button that uses Commit Records to save the record to the database.

Option 2) set up a form where all the data entry fields on the form are fields set up with global storage. Your save button creates a new record and uses set field to copy the data from the global fields to the corresponding fields in the new record. The script then clears the global fields so that another new record can be entered.

You have multiple options for validation checks on the data. Not only can you set up validation field options, you can use OnObjectValidate to perform a script to do a custom validation of a particular field. Thus, you can trap for errors immediately after the user exits the field. And the Save button I mentioned for options 1 and 2 can also perform script steps that check for data entry errors.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Record Submission Form
            KenHoopes

Ok, so... I like option 2, as I am using ipad mini's for capture, and would like to avoid using the built in controls for record creation. Can you please explain in a little better detail how option 2 works?

• 3. Re: FileMaker Record Submission Form
              philmodjunk

Option 1 does not require using the built in controls. You can also put a button for new record creation on the layout.

With regards to your second question on option 2, can you be more specific about what parts of option 2 are not clear to you? (That will help me to better help you.wink)

• 4. Re: FileMaker Record Submission Form
                KenHoopes

Just following up on this. I took the advice you mentioned, and where unclear used the terminology in google searches to better understand.

Thanks Phil.