8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2015 2:44 AM by applelakshan1

FileMaker related value list question

applelakshan1

Title

FileMaker related value list question

Hello Experts, 

I have issue with creating related value list.

ill describe the situation, 

have 3 tables 

01. Job publications = 02.Job  Card=03. Survey details
      Relationship is one to many to each table

How it should works

User create job publication record  and related records inside the job card, each job card can have many surveys.

So i use portal of survey details inside the Job card layout. 

Inside the portal i have placed the fields , more specifically i focus about the field name "company name"

What i want to show, drop down list in company name field which can show only the related values from Job publications.

I have created the related drop down list. my problem is it take very long time to visible that list. 

some times it does not visible at all.

some times it work faster if i navigate to few fields up and down on same layout, perhaps its because the db is hosted and it need some time to get data?

The database is hosted. Is there anyway to make it speedup and making work all the time?

At the moment i'm little lost so i  appreciate any input from you guys .

2.png

• 1. Re: FileMaker related value list question
          philmodjunk

have 3 tables 

01. Job publications = 02.Job  Card=03. Survey details
          Relationship is one to many to each table

Can you be a bit more specific in this description? Knowing the exact table occurrence names, field names and their auto-enter options can help. Perhaps you can upload a screen shot of the relevant portion of Manage | Database | Relationships?

and what kind of hosting are you doing? Local over your network or remotely from a different location such as via a hosting service?

And how did you set up your value list exactly? I would guess that it's a use values from field value list with the "include only related values" option specified but listing values from what table occurrence? and "starting from" which table occurrence?

• 2. Re: FileMaker related value list question
            applelakshan1

Sure Phil, here it is

• 3. Re: FileMaker related value list question
              philmodjunk

While probably not a factor in what your report Jobs Publications appears to lack a properly defined primary key given the "crows feet" that I see in your relationship chart.

I now await the answers to my other questions....

• 4. Re: FileMaker related value list question
                applelakshan1

Hello Phil,

Thank you for your reply.

01.Can you be a bit more specific in this description? 

Sure, this is what the solution does,  i am focusing on 3 tables that is troubling me this moment, because the rest  is working so far .

In this  Solution , First Admin create the "Jobs Publications" and  setup the Job Card  to each  Job publication, so if we say job publication ID 10/2015, that can have many job cards related to that job publication

Then let the non administrator user can carry the survey with the job cards, So each job card can have many survey details as it takes (this moment not going to do more than 6, but i think it will not be issue here). Sales guys will go out with the ipads to the address in job card  and do the survey on site.(they go to job card layout and fill the survey using portal)

For example publication id 10/2015 can have X number of job cards and those X  job cards can have Y number of survey entries

So this Y number of Survey details can have same value  more than once. for example  2 or more job card related to publications can contain same survey details.

Job publicationsJob cardSurvey details (SurveyDetails::Company Name)
                10/2015Mr BeanApple
                               IBM
                               MICROSOFT
                               FileMaker
                               MYSQL
                 Bat manMYSQL
                               PHP
                               LINUX
                 Super manFileMaker
                               PHP
                               CISCO
                 future job cads  

So as you see 3 job cards have few common survey details, So what i want to list down all survey details related to job id 10/2015 in to all job cards . Mr Bean/Bat Man/SuperMan Job Cards  should be able access all  survey details related to job id 10/2015, and not only that  all the future job cards  related to job id 10/2015 should be able to access those list.

So i hope that is clear if its not please ask me. 

• 5. Re: FileMaker related value list question
                  philmodjunk

You haven't answered the specific questions that I asked. To repost the ones not answered yet:

and what kind of hosting are you doing? Local over your network or remotely from a different location such as via a hosting service?

And how did you set up your value list exactly? I would guess that it's a use values from field value list with the "include only related values" option specified but listing values from what table occurrence? and "starting from" which table occurrence?

The second question is particularly critical to any answers I might post.

• 6. Re: FileMaker related value list question
                    applelakshan1

and what kind of hosting are you doing?

FileMaker Server 12 installed on Macmini its dedicated Server 10.8 Mountain lion server. 

Local over your network or remotely from a different location such as via a hosting service?

it access via remotely

And how did you set up your value list exactly?

Values list only shows the company name "SurveyDetails::Company Name"
                    attached new snapshots 

I would guess that it's a use values from field value list with the "include only related values" option specified but listing values from what table occurrence? SurveyDetails::Company Name

and "starting from" which table occurrence? jobs_publications

• 7. Re: FileMaker related value list question
                      philmodjunk

I'm  puzzled as to why the company name is stored in a survey details table. Shouldn't you have a table of companies from which to select this data? (It would still be possible to use a conditional value list with such a table, but you'd be interacting with a much smaller set of records and that might improve performance as well as making it much easier to manage the values in this list.)

About how many records do you have in the Survey Details table at this time?

So i use portal of survey details inside the Job card layout. 

and "starting from" which table occurrence? jobs_publications

Those two details in combination with a fairly large number of records and file hosted from outside your local network are all factors that will result in slower responses. Am I correct that you see a delay as you type in a few letters and have to wait for the value list to use auto-complete to narrow the list down to just names starting with the letters entered?

• 8. Re: FileMaker related value list question
                        applelakshan1

Why Company name :

from the job card it create 6 related records(6 company names in this case ) in side  survey details table, company name field  is in side the survey details table. 

I am not sure what you mean by separete table for that, because survey details table is another table that hold the data.

I have about 23 survey records this time

yes you are correct, i can see it take long time to appear the list for only first  time. For example this delay does not effect to the old records in side the database.