2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2015 5:49 AM by schpa

Filemaker restricting access/freezing access for no apparent reason

schpa

Title

Filemaker restricting access/freezing access for no apparent reason

Hey!

So I've searched the internet and the forums if anyone had the same issue but I couldn't find any threads with it, so I've just decided to just make a thread and ask whether the issue I have is common and if and then how I could go about solving it.

So I'm using Filemaker Pro Advanced 13 and have done so for the past 3-4 months designing a database for the company, and lately, for the past week or two, I've had an issue with most of the program freezing on me, not letting me edit scripts, managing database, not even enter fields or push any buttons, practically nothing...the program is not freezing on me completely, but it seems as though my access just suddenly gets restricted to next to nothing, even though I'm logged in as a Full Access Admin user.
      The only way I've found to solve it is to completely reboot FIlemaker, I can't re-login as the button I've created for that won't work either, and just exit the database and re-opening it doesn't seem to do a thing either, the only thing that works is to reboot Filemaker entirely.

This usually happens, from what I've experienced, after saving a script I've been working on, but it could also be random as script editing is where I spend most of my time.

So, again, is this a common issue from any of yours knowledge, or could it be the design of my database that clutters things up and creates the issue?

Thank you for your attention!

Simen

• 1. Re: Filemaker restricting access/freezing access for no apparent reason
          philmodjunk

Never had that happen. Do you find that menu options are greyed out? If so check for a paused script. If a script is paused, you should see a button labeled continue appear in the status area tool bar.

Check your file for damage. Launch fileMaker without opening the file and run a recover on it.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1. The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          3. Recover does not detect all problems
          5. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          7. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 2. Re: Filemaker restricting access/freezing access for no apparent reason
            schpa

Thanks for your reply Phil!

There was no scripts that was paused, no, so I followed the steps you provided accurately and now I'll just work a little with it and see if it reoccurs, if it does, I'll report back, if it doesn't I'll just mark your answer as the correct one and assume that the problem is solved :)

Simen