1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 2, 2011 11:28 AM by philmodjunk

Filemaker reverts record data on required value error

ZoocMan85

Title

Filemaker reverts record data on required value error

Hey Everyone,

I have an auto save feature on my database on the form section that a user fills out. Pretty much every 10 questions, filemaker will commit the record. However, for some reason if you should click on the layout by accident rather then clicking on the scroll bar on the right to scroll down the form ... Filemaker is selecting every single field on the form and validating all the fields. If one of the fields that it validates is empty and is set as a required value... it will automatically revert the record back to the last autosave. This is a huge pain because i know users will from time to time click on the background accidently then the scroll bar.What is the work around for this... I know i can have set on the fields to allow user to overide a required field to help fix the issue but there has to be another way. Thanks

Ray Z

• 1. Re: Filemaker reverts record data on required value error
          philmodjunk

Clicking on a layout background commits the record and thus validates all the fields. That's what's happening, now to prevent it from happening.

This sounds a bit weird, but it works.

Use the Webviewer tool to place an empty, invisible web viewer on your layout. Size it to cover the entire body layout part and move it to the back so that it is behind all other layout objects. This object will intercept those pesky background mouse clicks and keep them from committing the record. (To make it empty and invisible, you delete the viewer's URL expression and give it either a transparent border pattern or a border with line width of zero.)