3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2014 6:51 AM by philmodjunk

FileMaker Security Settings and multiple files

DavidMaffucci

Title

FileMaker Security Settings and multiple files

Hello,

My database is an evolution of years of work and as a result it's structure is a bit old-school. Rather than building one multi-table file like the current design structure, I've got a database spread over dozens of files (27 to be exact). When I need to create a new user or change a Privilege set, I've got to re-do it 27 times! At least that's what I know. I feel like there MUST be a way to do this more efficiently. We always open ONE main database file which spawns the others as needed. 

Is there a way to make changes to Security (creating users, modifying Sets) once and have those changes push out to all the related files?

Thanks for any advice or commiseration. 

DM

• 1. Re: FileMaker Security Settings and multiple files
          philmodjunk

You can use scripts to manage your accounts. Thus, for example, you can specify an account name, password and privilege set name in three fields on a layout and then a series of scripts can create, delete or update the account in each file.

And if you are hosting with server, you might want to investigate server side authentication.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FileMaker Security Settings and multiple files
            DavidMaffucci

Well, thank you for the answer but I've got to say, I haven't got a clue how to implement the solution you have suggested. We are using a "server" of sorts, just a client computer acting as a server for now. I think we are on the verge of needing to go full fledged server...oh well, one more round of 27 changes for me.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Security Settings and multiple files
              philmodjunk

What I provided was the tip of a "wedge". If it is insufficient, all you need do is ask for a more detailed explanation. (I don't know your particular set of skills and experience and so have to guess as to how much detail to provide.)

To add a slightly wider slice of the wedge, open manage scripts and note the different script steps in the accounts category that can be used to create and delete accounts. You can create a set of scripts that use data passed to them as a script parameter to manage your accounts using those steps, then import a copy into each file. Then you can set up a master control script in one file where a user enters or selects data in some fields and then the script performs these scripts in each individual file, passing this same data as a script parameter to each.

1 of 1 people found this helpful