6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2014 8:51 AM by philmodjunk

FileMaker Server 13 continuously locking up

jessicar

Title

FileMaker Server 13 continuously locking up

Since upgrading to FM13, FileMaker is locking up on a daily basis, requiring closing/reopening all databases before it may be used again. I'm having to disconnect all clients daily.

Latest Example:

I attempted to run a report, which locked up for 4 minutes. During that 4 minutes everyone else's connection was frozen as well. At the 4 minute mark I force closed my connection then disconnected all clients. (I have let the report run for as long as 12 minutes before, all the while everyone is locked up) The report never finishes. While the databases were offline I opened them (WITHOUT SHARING) I attempted to run the same report and it finished INSTANTLY (same everything - the only difference is that the databases are now offline and opened without sharing.) It literally didn't even take a full 2 seconds.

I know this is difficult to replicate, but I'm at my wits end. Our owners are losing faith in FileMaker and I have run out of possible reasons that may curb their anxiety. I'm out of ideas as to what may be causing the constant lock ups.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server 13 continuously locking up
          philmodjunk

Does you get this lock up only for this one report? Are you "running this report" by running a script?

Care to post that script so that others can see it? (we might spot the issue if we can see the actual script.)

While running the script while the file is not hosted from the server should produce identical results in most cases, this is not the case 100% of the time. Global fields, for example, can behave differently in a hosted file than one that is not hosted over a network. And while it would be unusual, it's not impossible for a damaged file to behave differently when hosted over a network than when opened directly in FileMaker.

To post a script to the forum:

1.           You can upload a screen shot of your script by using the Upload an Image controls located just below Post a New Answer.
          3.           You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF to your clipboard for pasting here. (with this approach, you can get multiple script steps on the same line, please edit the pasted text by inserting some returns to separate those steps.)
          5.           If You have FileMaker Advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
          7.           If you paste a text form of the script, you can use the Script Pretty box in the Known Bugs List database to paste a version that is single spaced and indented for a more professional and easier to read format.
          • 2. Re: FileMaker Server 13 continuously locking up
            jessicar

I've been plagued by this since September of last year, finally decided to post about it had an epiphany just last night. Before I post the script to dig into I'd like to ask you opinion as to whether or not this "epiphany" is even logical..

My script goes to a layout where a chart is located in the leading grand summary part.

All the chart data is based on a Date field - calculated from that date field actually (GetMonthName, GetYear, Custom function to get the quarter, etc.) and those Calculated values are then Summarized to produce the chart.

Because the chart was timing out at 12 minutes, I changed my Calculated fields to Autoenter fields. (my understanding being that should take less effort from FileMaker and speed up the process, correct?)

Could it be that my Autoenter fields are trying to re-evaluate but because someone is in a record they can't do so, and that is why FM is locking up?

• 3. Re: FileMaker Server 13 continuously locking up
              philmodjunk

Auto-enter fields do not re-evaluate automatically unless:

a) A field in the same table as the auto-enter field and that is referenced in the calculation is changed, AND

b) The "do not replace existing value" check box has been cleared.

If your calculation fields were stored calculation field, I doubt that the change to auto-entered fields would make much difference.

But you mention summary fields and they may be the factor here. It's possible that your layout has a found set of all records in the table and this might be a very large number of records (tens or hundreds of thousands--even millions of records). And thus, before you can perform a find to limit the found set to what you want for your chart, the system may be bogging down on an attempt to compute values  for one or more summary fields over a scope of massive numbers of records.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Server 13 continuously locking up
                jessicar

Thank You. I think something bigger is going on. Clients are locking up almost every hour now.. It locks up continuously. I'm beginning to panic now because it won't even stay online for half of the day... I don't know what to do... I'm thinking about rebuilding it on FMServer12 because since the upgrade everything keeps locking up... It just keeps getting worse every day.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Server 13 continuously locking up
                  jessicar

I've escalated this to FMI's Tech Support team, and if anyone else is having this mysterious lockup, I suggest you do the same. 

I've been advised that the more examples of the problem they can escalate through Tech Support, the sooner they can get attention and programming resources focused on the problem and an eventual solution. You don’t need to have your server in the hung state when you call Support. They’ll be able to capture your server information, begin troubleshooting, and give you instructions for what additional data to capture should the Server hang again.

Call 1-800-325-2747 and let FMI see your problem. The more people that do that the more chance we all have of figuring this out.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Server 13 continuously locking up
                    philmodjunk

I would recommend that you run a recover on a copy of your file if you have not already done so. That can check for possible file damage that might be a factor in what you are experiencing.