11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2009 6:43 PM by PJCBG

Filemaker Sharing Issues

PJCBG

Title

Filemaker Sharing Issues

Operating System: Vista Home SP1

Filemaker Version:  9.0v3

Issue #1

I have a file in which I am unable to share.  When I goto File -> Sharing -> FileMaker Network... and choose this file, under "Network access to file" all of the options are disabled and greyed out with a message "No user has access to this file, not configurable."  So hence not being able to share this file.

Issue #2

I have a file which shares just fine but when referencing fields in a relationship in different files I am getting a <File Missing> in the field.  Even though I am able to open these files remotely just fine and share and the relationship is setup correctly.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Sharing Issues
          philmodjunk

With regards to issue #2:

Open Manage | External Data Sources... and check the file reference(s) that you are using. It's possible that they contain a file path to a different location or different file name than the current name/location of your external file.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Sharing Issues
            TSGal

PJCBG:

Thank you for your post.

Regarding Issue #1, do you have full read/write access to the file?  Is the file locked in any way?  Are you able to share the file on another machine?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Filemaker Sharing Issues
              PJCBG

PhilModJunk,

-I will try this, I'm not at the office currently.

TSGal,

-I have full read/write access. 

-I don't know if it is locked or how to even check for that.

-I'm not able to share this file with any other machine.

Thanks for looking into this for me.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Sharing Issues
                philmodjunk

"-I'm not able to share this file with any other machine."

Not with, ON. :smileywink: I believe TSGal is suggesting that you move the file to a different machine to see if it can be shared from there.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Sharing Issues
                  PJCBG
                     It's on an External Hard Drive on the network, move it to a PC to test it? ( I have 25+ other filemaker files from this drive that work just fine )
                  • 6. Re: Filemaker Sharing Issues
                    philmodjunk

I believe that's what she was suggesting. I understand your doubts as to why one file wouldn't be shareable when all the others are shareable from the same machine.

Here's another idea you can test. Recover the file and see if the recover process reports that any problems were found and corrected. Then try sharing the recovered copy.

If recovering the file fixes the problem, replace your file with an undamaged copy.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Sharing Issues
                      PJCBG

Issue #2 Solved!

Thank you!

Issue #1

I have moved the file to several different computers to test sharing, still same error with "No user has access to this file, not configurable" when I try to change the network sharing options and everything is still grayed out.

I have recovered the file and tried to share the recovered file but to no avail as well.  Recovery process showed no errors.

• 8. Re: Filemaker Sharing Issues
                        TSGal

PJCBG:

Glad you got issue #2 solved.

I don't have a definite solution for issue #1, but to help me find the cause, I'd like to look at your database file in case it is damaged.  If you want to send me a clone of your file, I can try a few things here.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.  Unfortunately, I'm leaving early today to visit my niece and nephew who are in town, so I won't be able to look at it until tomorrow.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: Filemaker Sharing Issues
                          TSGal

PJCBG:

I received your file, but I am unable to open it due to password protection.  Please send me a private message (or to the email address from my private message) with the User Name and Password so I can look at the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: Filemaker Sharing Issues
                            TSGal

PJCBG:

Thank you for the password.

I opened the file, and I could duplicate the problem.  That is, Network Sharing is "On", but the Network Access to the file is grayed out.  However, at the bottom of the Access area, it says, "No user can access this file; not configurable."  Therefore, I clicked "Cancel", pulled down the File menu and selected "Manage -> Accounts & Privileges...".  I then clicked on the "Extended Privileges" tab and noticed that "fmapp - Access via FileMaker Network" was not listed (along with fmiwp and fmxdbc).  I clicked "New...", entered Keyword fmapp, and checked the access for Full Access.  I clicked "OK" twice to exit "Accounts & Privileges", pulled down the File menu, selected "Sharing -> FileMaker Network...", and voila!  I now have Network access to the file.

Please let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: Filemaker Sharing Issues
                              PJCBG

Thanks! That was the problem!

SOLVED!