7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2013 11:16 AM by philmodjunk

FileMaker template

john9210

Title

FileMaker template

I have some FM files that I would like to use as templates for creating other FM files.  I would like the template to run similarly to those in Microsoft Word or Excel. That is, when I open the template file, create a copy on the desktop, lets me name the new file, close the original file and open the copy to make it active. How can I script this?

• 1. Re: FileMaker template
          davidanders

Some applications have specific file formats for templates, most do not.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template_%28file_format%29

Filemaker opens databases stored in the English Extras | Templates folder as a new database from template. Double clicking the same file will open it and the template will then contain any changes made.

If a database's Get Info [Macintosh] is set to "Stationery pad", a copy will be opened, no matter where it is stored.

If a database is set to "Locked" [Mac] or "Read Only", the original will not be changed and a prompt to save as will appear.

• 2. Re: FileMaker template
            philmodjunk

I have found it possible to add files to this folder to create new starter solution templates, but the process is not perfect. You can't associate a graphic logo with the starter solution like you see with the FileMaker Inc. supplied starter solutions.

You can also use "save a copy as" with the clone option in a script to start a new copy of an existing file with a single mouse click--provided the file is not currently hosted over a network.

But I must also note that many times, such a "separate files for separate data sets" request is behind a request such as yours and this is often not the ideal data model. FileMaker offers a number of ways to manage all the data in one file, but with access to different subsets of the total records restricted to only those appropriate for a specific layout or specific users that are authorized to view/edit that set of records.

• 3. Re: FileMaker template
              john9210

I've tried placing a file in the template folder to see if it would open as a template, but I can't open it. It doesn't show up in the Starter Solution dialog when I start FM.

• 4. Re: FileMaker template
                philmodjunk

Which FileMaker version?

• 5. Re: FileMaker template
                  john9210

FM 12 Adv

• 6. Re: FileMaker template
                    john9210

I could use Save As and save as a clone. However, the template has a few records that need to be kept.

• 7. Re: FileMaker template
                      philmodjunk

I opened my Known Bugs LIst database and used Save a copy as|Clone to save a copy of the file into C:Programs/FileMaker/FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced/English Extras/Templates/Personal - General.

I then opened "new from starter solution" and got the results shown in this screen shot:

I could use Save As and save as a clone. However, the template has a few records that need to be kept.

It's possible to use a script to save a clone of the file and then to use Import Records to import selected records from the original file.