4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2012 10:39 AM by CDCASA

FileMaker update?

CDCASA

Title

FileMaker update?

Hi, I received an email about getting an upgrade to the new FileMaker 12 software. I currently use FileMaker Pro 11 and FileMaker Server 11 Advanced. I am wondering how easy (or difficult) it would be to upgrade to the new software. Will my current databases transfer over smoothly? What else do I need to know about upgrading? I think it would be a good idea for me but I do not want to jeopordize my databases or have this take a long time to switch over. Please let me know everything you think would be good to know about this, I read through your emails and website about it but nothing was really mentioned about how the change would be made from a previous version, and in particular the ones I have. Thank you!

• 1. Re: FileMaker update?
          philmodjunk

There's a file format change with this upgrade so don't plan on upgrading unless you updared both FileMaker and server to version 12 as Server 12 won't host older versions and older versions of server won't host version 12 files.

You might want to download the free 30 day trial of FileMaker 12 and give it a test drive to see if the improved features justify the added cost.

• 2. Re: FileMaker update?
            CDCASA

I just recently bought the 11 version of both FM Pro and Server and in the email I received it said I was withina certain time period to be able to upgrade for free. If this is the case the cost is not an issue so my main concern is time and formatting consistency. I would gladly upgrade both Server and FM Pro if it wasn't a hassle and if it didn't affect my databases so this is what I was hoping to find out. Also, if I go through with the upgrade and do not like it or if there are problems with my databases that I made on the 11 version, how easy would it be to revert back to my original 11 version? Thanks.

• 3. Re: FileMaker update?
              philmodjunk

When you install Filemaker 12, you can use it to open your .fp7 files and it will produce converted copies of your files. There is no method for taking version 12 files and producing version 11--so this is a one way change. The conversion, however, leaves the original copies of your .fp7 files untouched so you do have the option of discarding the version 12 copies and reverting to using the .fp7 files.

If you were to use FileMaker 12 for a while, modifying data in your files and then you decided to revert, you should be able to export your data as tab, csv or merge files in order to import the data back into a clone (empty copy) of your .fp7 file.

• 4. Re: FileMaker update?
                CDCASA

Thank you!