1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2014 9:38 AM by philmodjunk

Filemaker Upgrade w/Server 5.5 files

rr_2

Title

Filemaker Upgrade w/Server 5.5 files

scenario:

(2)-Users  windows xp running filmaker pro 6...with filemaker server 5.5 on an old windows 2003 server.

goal:

update machines and data....

machines to windows7 pro

upgrade filemaker to 12 or 13.

Questions/Status:

can the server files be exported/pulled off/imported-updated from filemaker server 5.5 and updated to a a 'new' filemaker 12-13 shared user setup. On the 'new' windows 7 pro machines?

-----I do not think the server edition is needed. You only have 2 users. One is primary the other is a manager who logs in rarely.----

ANY advise is greatly appreciated. Users are barely hanging on with old equipment and software.

thanks

rob

• 1. Re: Filemaker Upgrade w/Server 5.5 files
          philmodjunk

The "server files" are just FileMaker Pro 5.5 files. They will need to be converted as follows:

First, you use FileMaker 11 to convert to .fp7 format, then you use Filemaker 12 or 13 to convert to .fmp12 format.

Here's a download link for a 30 day free trial copy of Filemaker 11 you can use for the first step of the conversion:

http://info.filemaker.com/Us_en_FileMaker_Pro_11_Trial.html

I also recommend that you read these two Knowledge Base articles on converting your files:

Converting to .fp7 format: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/750/kw/converting

Converting to .fmp12 format: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10571/kw/converting

Be prepared to invest some time into testing and updating the converted files as there is a good chance that your converted files may not function perfectly. The KB articles cover many, but not all of the possible issues. Feel free to post back here with any issues you encounter that don't seem to have been covered by the KB articles.

With only two users, you will save a lot of $$ if you you use FileMaker Pro to host your files. FileMaker 12 can host up to 9 different licensed users. FileMaker 13 can host to 4. (Host plus four clients = 5 )

You do lose some nice automated back up capabilities and better system intregrity so review the features and costs of acquiring server before you make a final decision.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Upgrade w/Server 5.5 files
            rr_2

thank you.

I'm on it....

I appreciate the fast reply!

• 3. Re: Filemaker Upgrade w/Server 5.5 files
              rr_2

hello,

Well I ran the trial software and tried to update all the files.

But, I am getting the following error:

"master" could not be created on this disk. Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it, or use a different disk.

I copied all the data from the 'old'  server 5.5, installed trial version of filemaker 11....

this error pops up.

do I need to start over?.....Kinda lost here...

rob

• 4. Re: Filemaker Upgrade w/Server 5.5 files
                philmodjunk

Are you getting this error message when you install FIleMaker 11 or when you try to convert the file to the newer .fp7 file format?

I copied all the data from the 'old'  server 5.5, installed trial version of filemaker 11....

And how exactly did you do that? You only need to stop the server, find the folder from which these files are being hosted can copy them over to the computer where you have the trial copy of FileMaker 11 installed.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Upgrade w/Server 5.5 files
                  rr_2

the trial filemaker 11 installed fine.

---when I try the convert it gives the error message

I copied the data on to a usb, pasted onto the new comptuter. In a new folder I named: fm_old folder...

open the trial software and start the conversion...then the error pops up

my guess is that I'm updating the files and I need to leave those converted files in the 'original'  folder???

rob

• 6. Re: Filemaker Upgrade w/Server 5.5 files
                    philmodjunk

The files should not need to be in the original folder in most cases--though some types of external data source references may convert better if you did, this is not the issue producing this error condition.

The error message tells you that it is trying to create a file named "master" and cannot create it at the location where it is trying to create it. The only files created by the conversion process are the converted files themselves.

There's a dialog where you select a location and other options for those newly created files. What options did you select there? Could it be that you are specifying that the converted copies are to be created on your USB and it doesn't have enough available space for the new file? Try specifying your desktop as the location for the converted files, you can always move them later.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Upgrade w/Server 5.5 files
                      rr_2

nope I specify as a new folder fm_new on the drive.

I will try the desktop idea

• 8. Re: Filemaker Upgrade w/Server 5.5 files
                        philmodjunk

Is there a file in your set of 5.5 files named "master"? Is it a FileMaker database file?

• 9. Re: Filemaker Upgrade w/Server 5.5 files
                          rr_2

PhilModJunk,

ok same errors....

yes---I have a 5.5 FILE NAMED: "MASTER"  AND YES IT'S A FILEMAKER DATABASE.

The error when I start converting over to trial on 11 is:

the file could not be created on this disk. Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk.

The problem I believe is the associated files with "MASTER"----

polist, breakdown, and others.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated....I have a brand new PC that can be used until this software actually works.

thanks

rob

• 10. Re: Filemaker Upgrade w/Server 5.5 files
                            philmodjunk

"Use a different name" may be the key. Try renaming the file "Master" to "Master.fp5". Then try converting it into a .fp7 file by using FMP 11 to open the file.

The problem I believe is the associated files with "MASTER"----

Then it wouldn't have trouble creating the new converted file Master--which is what this error message is specifying.

Also make sure that you don't select options during the conversion that put the old file and the new copy in the same folder with exactly the same name.

• 12. Re: Filemaker Upgrade w/Server 5.5 files
                              rr_2

hello....

Scripts---managing

3 weeks later!!!

I've finally had a chance to copy the data over.

But now I'm having a huge problem. Everything looks ok---but I have none of the Scripts

I see them listed but nothing works.

ideas?

do I need to transfer scripts also, or can I transfer script data

Rob

• 13. Re: Filemaker Upgrade w/Server 5.5 files
                                philmodjunk

The scripts should have converted along with the files when you converted to the new file format. The conversion process will even modify certain details of those scripts in an effort to ensure that they work in the new version. But the conversion is not always perfect.

You'll need to use manage | Scripts to open and check each script for issues in order to fix anything wrong with the converted scripts.

But "nothing works" seems very unlikely unless there is something seriously wrong with the original file that you are converting.

• 14. Re: Filemaker Upgrade w/Server 5.5 files
                                  rr_2

yes, nothing works is way to vague.

and 'most' everything works.....

an example of 'not working' is  radio buttons in a sub table/database.

***-polist: there was a radio button to add a new PO which added by numeric sequence.

now---nothing is present.

this has turned into quite a cumbersome task. I would have never imagined it would take so much time.

I've had multiple issues with layouts, data just all over the place---but I was told this might happen.

I did not think any extra time programming/modifying would be needed---yikes I have been slapped upside my head on this one.

**** any to adding radio buttons or common scripts would be appreciated.

1 2 Previous Next