3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2009 9:20 AM by philmodjunk

Filemaker's standard menu buttons - how to select and amend associated scripts?

HugoLidia

Title

Filemaker's standard menu buttons - how to select and amend associated scripts?

1. The Tools|Custom Menus|Manage Custom Menus option seems messy to use,  For instance I want to remove the standard "delete" button from the menu, but you can't select that individually it appears as part of a group of three.  SO how can it be selected, if its possible.

2. I want to amend the PDF and Excel buttons that come as standard with FMP, so that the default is to export the details in relation to the "Current REcord" not all the records being rowsed.  Is this possible and if so, how?

3. Also want to change the part of the payout that is printed out.  At present it is all of the client record, from teh client layout, but also part of the policy portal.  Appears to be a page width issue.  Can it be set to a certain part of the layout?

4.  Why is there no standard navigation bar as in most other programs to enable User to, for example: go to First, previous, next and last record. <  <<   >>  >

Using Windows XP SP3 & FMP 10

• 1. Re: Filemaker's standard menu buttons - how to select and amend associated scripts?
          RickWhitelaw

Regarding #4:

Create a field called, let's say "RecordNumber" and define it as an unstored calculation thus: "#" & " " & Get ( RecordNumber ) & " " & "of" & " " & Get ( FoundCount ) . This will give you a precise notion of where you are in the found set. As well, set up buttons like this:   . The leftmost triggers the script step Show All records, then GoTo Record (first) etc. If you place these in the header of a layout based on the table occurrence that's appropriate it will work. The "Record Number" field is placed below, where it currently looks like "Record NU".

Regarding #1: you must make COPIES of menu sets/items before you can change them.

Regarding #s 2 & 3, I'm not clear on exactly what you're asking.

I hope the image of the buttons survives posting . . .

RW 

• 2. Re: Filemaker's standard menu buttons - how to select and amend associated scripts?
            RickWhitelaw

I can see the image didn't survive posting. So . . . the image consisted of four symbols with script steps attached. You can find the images easily . . . go to first record, go to previous record, next record and last record. The "Record Number" field is placed below the (grouped) set of symbols.

RW 

• 3. Re: Filemaker's standard menu buttons - how to select and amend associated scripts?
              philmodjunk

My guess on items 2 and 3 is that you want to modify the standard behavior of these two menu items.

To do that, write a script that does exactly what you want. You can temporarily test the script by selecting it from the scripts menu or assigning it to a layout button. Once you like how your script performs. You can modify a copy of the menu item to perform your script instead of Filemaker's built in function.