9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2013 2:33 PM by philmodjunk

FileMaker12 Pro Header/Footer issue when printing

Atkins

Title

FileMaker12 Pro Header/Footer issue when printing

Hello,

We're testing FileMaker 12 Pro in my office and have been using FileMaker 11 Pro previously.  I have created a function in my database that prints a barcode.  Here's how it is set up:

•           I have a layout just for the barcode.  It consists of 2 fields and one text box, aligned exactly how the barcode should print.
      •      
      •           I set the layout and page setup such that the available area is the same size as the barcode I want to print.
      •      
      •           I set all the print settings in my "Print" script so that it knows what size the barcode is and all that.
      •      
      •           When you select the 'Print' button in my database it goes to this layout, prints the layout, and returns to the previous layout, creating the barcode exactly as I want it.

Here's the issue I'm having.  When I try this in FileMaker 12 I get an error message that says "The combined size of the Header plus the Footer is longer than can fit on the page.  To print, first make the Header or Footer shorter or use longer paper."  This is using the exact same layout as FileMaker 11.  Also, I don't have a Header or Footer part in this layout at all, just a Body.  I'm not sure why this error is popping up in the first place.

So what I've already tried to fix this issue is:

•           Creating a Header and a Footer and setting their height to 0px.  That didn't work, same message.
      •      
      •           I then deleted the Header and Footer and tried again, thinking maybe it didn't recognize that there wasn't one to begin with.  No good.
      •      
      •           I also tried creating a new layout in FM12 and duplicating the setup in case there was something about the FM11 layout it didn't like.  No luck.
      •      
      •           I also went into the print margins and set everything to 0.  I never did this in FM11 but it looked like there was a margin in FM12 and this fixed that problem.
      •      
      •           I also tried resizing the length of the barcode in print settings and still got the same error.

I'm completely out of ideas and just curious if there's something special about FM12 that forces the header and footer to print?  I don't know what else to try, so if you have any ideas or can point me in a certain direction it would be much appreciated.  This seems like a very odd thing to change in a version update...

• 1. Re: FileMaker12 Pro Header/Footer issue when printing
          philmodjunk

What happens if you simply select that layout and choose Print from the File menu?

If that works, there may be an issue with your script.

• 2. Re: FileMaker12 Pro Header/Footer issue when printing
            Atkins

No, that doesn't work either.  The way I was testing it while modifying it was bypassing the script.  In the layout I would select Preview to go to the print preview screen.  For a while I got the same error message when doing this, but after changing my layout a little and getting rid of the margins I got it to display correctly and stop giving me the error.

Once it was displaying correctly in the preview screen I tried printing it and still see the error each time.  What's interesting is that originally when the Preview wasn't working correctly the barcode seemed to be too big for the layout (even though nothing had changed) and it wouldn't even display.  Once I slightly increased the size of the layout it began displaying correctly again so I thought I had fixed the problem, but I still got the header/footer error.

• 3. Re: FileMaker12 Pro Header/Footer issue when printing
              philmodjunk

I would suggest that you try creating a brand new from scratch layout. Don't copy and paste any objects from your current layout and try printing from it, but it sounds like you may have tried that already.

Is your layout intended for printing to a special page size? And you can confirm that you have that custom page size selected in printer set up?

You may want to try recovering the file and testing the recovered copy to see if it has the same issue. (Test the recovered copy even if recover does not report finding any problems.)

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
              3.           Recover does not detect all problems
              5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
              7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 4. Re: FileMaker12 Pro Header/Footer issue when printing
                Atkins

Ok, thanks for the input on recovering.  I'll keep that in the back of my mind.  As for your first question, I created a new layout, but I did copy and paste my fields over onto it.  I'll try doing it from scratch instead.

Also, yes, it is set to print to a label size and is actually connected to a label printer.  The settings mirror what they were before...I've triple-checked.

I was just playing with it some more before reading your post and was reminded of another oddity.  I've done almost all my design work on a Mac, but this printer is connected to a PC, so I do the printing/label setup on the PC.  I don't remember noticing this before, but the "Body" of this layout doesn't have any width options.  I'm completely locked out of changing the width when I select the "Body" tag on the layout, but the height options are still there.  In my understanding, the Body has a white background fill.  There is also a gray or "invisible" background with a solid vertical line to the right, and when I click off the body into this invisible area (that still appears to be part of the layout), I can change the width there and the solid vertical line moves accordingly.  The body stays the same.

I'm not sure what the distinction is between these two areas, but they seem to be related.  I can change the height of the body and the width of this other area, but not vice versa.  What I've noticed is that my barcode field actually extends slightly off the white background of the "Body"...so I'm wondering if for some reason it doesn't fit and is trying to wrap, etc, creating the error.  I can't figure out how to widen the Body.  Maybe this is a PC problem or difference, or maybe it's a FM12 difference?  I went to another general layout with lots of buttons, etc, and the body appeared to be about the same width (maybe 100px?) as far as the white background was concerned, even though the elements on the layout were much wider.  I don't know if this is just a graphical representation error or if something is weird.  When I look at any of the pages in Browse Mode the white background extends over 100% of the page, so it appears that the body is "stretching".

Anyhow, any input on changing the Body width would be helpful.  Other than that I'll try creating a layout from scratch, and if necessary I'll try the recovery process you outlined.  Thanks for the input so far!

• 5. Re: FileMaker12 Pro Header/Footer issue when printing
                  philmodjunk

I don't remember noticing this before, but the "Body" of this layout doesn't have any width options.  I'm completely locked out of changing the width when I select the "Body" tag on the layout, but the height options are still there.

In FileMaker 11, or In FileMaker 12 on a classic themed layout, there are no width options for a layout part.

There is also a gray or "invisible" background with a solid vertical line to the right, and when I click off the body into this invisible area (that still appears to be part of the layout), I can change the width there and the solid vertical line moves accordingly.  The body stays the same.

This is only the case in FileMaker 12 on a "non classic" themed layout.

I can't figure out how to widen the Body.

You shouldn't have to. If you are on a layout converted from FileMaker 11 or for which you have selected a classic theme, the only way you can get a layout part that doesn't span the width of your monitor and have a scroll bar to go even further to the side, is if the layout is either damaged, or you have selected printing in columns on the printing tab in layout setup.. This is not an option you should select if you are printing one label to a page on a label printer.

The reference to header and footer layout parts on a layout that does not have such parts indicates a good likelyhood that the layout or the file is damaged.

• 6. Re: FileMaker12 Pro Header/Footer issue when printing
                    Atkins

Ok, I've spent some more time on this issue and it's increasingly frustrating.  This morning I decided to start from scratch, so I created a new FM12 file with only one layout.  I put a single field on the layout and set the size/formatting to match my barcode size.  I tried to print that, and while the preview again looked fine, I got the same error about Header/Footer being too big to print.  And again, there was no header or footer.  This was on a brand new file with a brand new layout, without any of the barcode stuff.  Just a plain text field.

Also interesting, when I 'preview' my original barcode file it looks completely normal, and I have the option to print or create a PDF.  I tried creating a PDF and it looks fine.  It's the right size and the bar code looks good.  I printed this out of Adobe Acrobat to my label printer and it worked.  The formatting wasn't perfect because Acrobat needed to shrink it just a little for some reason, but it still worked.  I don't know why it can send to PDF without an issue but it won't print.  Should I try contacting a FileMaker support person to see if maybe there's a bug or something?

And just as a reminder, it still works great in FM11 just as it is.  Same computer, same printer.

• 7. Re: FileMaker12 Pro Header/Footer issue when printing
                      philmodjunk

This sounds like the printer driver for your printer may have an issue with FileMaker 12. Your only options may be: Get an updated printer driver (may not be one to get), Change to a different printer, Revert back to FileMaker 11 or use a PDF for printing your labels.

The formatting wasn't perfect because Acrobat needed to shrink it just a little for some reason,

There's a setting in Adobe Reader that you can change to correct for this. Adobe is trying to fit the entire PDF page (margins and all) inside the printable area specified for your printer. Change that printing option on how the page fits and you'll get a same size output from Adobe.

• 8. Re: FileMaker12 Pro Header/Footer issue when printing
                        Atkins

I have new information in regards to your response.  I decided to try this out on my Mac becuase I never got the error when I looked at that layout preview on the Mac.  I went to the Brother site and downloaded their latest Mac driver.  I went through the settings, which weren't quite as comprehensive as they are on PC, and got everything set correctly.  I clicked Print and sure enough, a barcode label popped out of the printer.  No errors or anything.

Once I saw this work I took this file directly to the PC, opened it, and tried printing and got the original error.  I re-downloaded the printer driver on PC and checked the firmware as well, all to no avail.  I even tried a reboot, just 'cause.  You may be correct in that it's a print driver issue since the Mac and PC use different drivers, but without a newer version for PC it still won't help me.

This problem gets more curious all the time as now it works in FM11 and in FM12 on Mac, but not FM12 on PC.  I also came across this old post on the forum, a very similar issue as mine.  Phil, you had gone back and forth with this guy as well but he apparently found the problem to be on his end. If the problem is on my end I'm sure not seeing what it is since all I did was take the file from FM11 to FM12.  Here's a link to the post:

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/321189ac2c

Any other ideas?  I can't really afford to give up on this one as printing these barcode labels is the PRIMARY function of the whole database.  It needs to be quick and it needs to be easy...which it was in FM11.  Thanks for the help.

• 9. Re: FileMaker12 Pro Header/Footer issue when printing
                          philmodjunk

I have nothing more to suggest. YOu may want to use Report an Issue to post this as a bug report.