1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 23, 2009 4:51 PM by philmodjunk

FileMakerPro 6 program

Szafraniec1

Title

FileMakerPro 6 program

I use a FileMaker Pro 6 software program for database work. I have limited knowledge of the system. I am operating on a Mac OS X system, Version 10.5.5. Processor 2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Memory 1GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. Hardware is iMac, Identifier, 1Mac8,1.

The program shut down this afternoon. I had several programs going as I usually do, MS Word, Safari Internet. When I tried to restart the FileMaker 6 program, I received a message that the system "is damaged and cannot be opened. Use Recover Command to Recover this File." I did and reopened it on the desktop. However, when I tried to open the FileMaker 6 program on the desktop, I could not get it to function until I rebooted (restarted) the whole computer. Then I was able to use all View, Format, Records, commands. Basically Im was able to finish my work (I publish a weekly e-letter). 

I'm concerned this the "shutdown" of my Filemaker 6 Program will happen again and I will loose all my work. (I have over 5,000 entries in that particular database). The "alias" is also "damaged" Does anyone have any idea what may have happened? And then how to prevent it from happening again? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. 

• 1. Re: FileMakerPro 6 program
          philmodjunk

File corruption happens. There's no way to guarantee it won't happen again, nor is this unique to filemaker pro. Your best defense is to make regular back up copies of all your files.

"The "alias" is also "damaged""

The alias is just a pointer to another file. You can easily make a new one. In this case is it possible that the alias still points to the damaged copy of the file?