2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2009 2:26 PM by pking

Files hosted on server cannot be opened by one user

pking

Title

Files hosted on server cannot be opened by one user

Today I brought our new server online running FM Server version 10.0.1.64 hosting 58 databases.  All my users are able to login except for one who is getting an error: 'filename' could not be opened.  Either the host is not available or the file is not available on that host.  He gets the same error no matter which file he is attempting to open.  The files are all visible through the open remote dialog box.

Previously we had the files on another server running the server 9 software.  The user has FMP 10 installed and was able to open the files on the old server.  He is using a PC running Windows XP.  I loaded the latest release of FM10 to his computer, but that still did not solve the problem. 

Tomorrow I am planning on uninstalling FMP from his computer and doing a reinstall to see if that helps.  I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue and what might be the cause.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Files hosted on server cannot be opened by one user
          TSGal

pking:

Thank you for your post.

I don't have an answer for you, as I have never encountered this.

Does this occur immediately when you select a file?  Or, does it appear the file is loading before you get the error message?  Are there any On Open scripts with the files?  That is, you can have a script execute when a file is opened.  If so, do any of these scripts attempt to open another database file?  If so, does this other database reside on another server that possibly that user doesn't have access to?  Is the Login information stored in a FileMaker file?  If that user tries to login with an account that another user is successful on another machine, does this work?  I'm not there to look at your setup (and I'm sure it is fine), but I need to find out as much information possible to narrow down some possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Files hosted on server cannot be opened by one user
            pking

Hi TSGal,

I just had another set of eyes look at the setup and they spotted the issue.  It turns out that the user had added an extra space at the end of the IP address when he added the host to favorites.  It still allowed him to see the files, but errored when he tried to open anything.  I wish I could break my users of the bad habit of hitting that spacebar!  I've had to add the Auto Enter Calc/Trim to all the text fields in the databases.  Thank goodness for that option!  :smileyhappy:

Thank you,

Pam