4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2009 12:44 PM by EmChar

files printing twice

EmChar

Title

files printing twice

Hi,

I've imported a few PDF's into my filemaker pro 8 and I've added all the fields that I require. However, whenever I print in these layouts, the same page prints twice, once with the fields I have added and then once with the fields blank. When I look at the preview only the first page is shown so I don't know where the other one comes from. Normally, I would just select "From 1 to 1" in my printing options, but when I need to print 500+ files in the same layout, I really don't want to have to print them all individually. I've already wasted more paper than I care to admit. 

Thank you in advance.

Emily 

• 1. Re: files printing twice
          philmodjunk

Are you printing with the "current record" or "records being browsed" option?

If Records being browsed, how many records are in your found set at time of printing?

Did you know that preview shows you the first page of a multiple page report and you have to click the "book" control in the upper left corner to move forward and back through any additional pages?

I can't tell for sure, but you might have a blank record or two at the end of your found set if your using "records being browsed".

Other explanations are also possible depending on your layout/table design/printer settings.

• 2. Re: files printing twice
            EmChar
               Ok, for example, there are 71 records in my found set, which is the correct amount that I would like to print. Now, when I go to the preview there is a question mark where it should tell me the total number of records. Also when I flip through the preview pages, after each record that I actually want to print there is a duplicate record, just without the fields that I have added. This is my problem. Any advice on how I can correct this?
            • 3. Re: files printing twice
              philmodjunk

EmChar wrote:
              Ok, for example, there are 71 records in my found set, which is the correct amount that I would like to print. Now, when I go to the preview there is a question mark where it should tell me the total number of records.

When in preview mode, the book control shows you the number of pages rather than records. It'll show the ? until you flip to the last page in your previewed report, so this is normal behavior.

Also when I flip through the preview pages, after each record that I actually want to print there is a duplicate record, just without the fields that I have added.

Now we're getting somewhere. What you are actually seeing is a blank page not a record since you are in preview mode. I'm guessing that your layout is designed so that you see one record per page. If I am right then I think I've got it figured out. In the "blank" record pages, you see the header and footer parts of your layout with completely blank space in between?

If so, then it sounds like your layout is a little bit longer than will fit on one page and this triggers the extra page during print/preview. Look at your layout in layout mode. You should see a dotted horizontal line on your layout. This marks the page break for the current printer and layout margin settings. You will need to either change your layout settings to have a smaller top and/or bottom margin or you will need to make your report parts small enough that the layout doesn't extend even 1 pixel past the page break limit.

• 4. Re: files printing twice
                EmChar

SUCCESS!!!

Thank you so much. This will make my life so much easier!